MIKE asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 5 months ago

Why is it with these parents leaving children in cars in the summer?

I don't buy into the fact that they're that unaware of the dangers especially since we hear so much of it now.

It almost seems as it reading about these stories are making parents more determined not to be careful.

I don't mean to say that it is but it seems like it.

You're unaware that it has been happen for centuries and millenia... forever and people will continue to be idiots leaving kids in cars. It's not news.

From what I've read, it often happens when there has been a change in the parents' routine. For example, one parent normally takes the child to daycare, but then one day, the other parent is supposed to take them. Then that parent is just following their normal routine (which doesn't normally include dropping the kid off at daycare) and just drives on to work and forgets about the child. And it usually happens with babies/very young kids who are likely to fall asleep and not make any noise to remind the parent that they're in the back seat. But still, it does seem crazy to just forget your child. I could maybe see making that mistake and leaving them in the car for a few minutes...but it seems like eventually, you'd think about your child and realize that you had never dropped them off or taken them out of the car. In a lot of these cases, the parent didn't even realize what they had done all day long and found the child dead hours later.

This is not a new thing, parents have been doing so for ages. What is different now is that now everyone else is more aware of the dangers of it, combined with the higher temperatures which were less common years ago. This heat wave has been pretty awful and I can't wait until Tuesday when it ends (where I live).

• Niko

We are living in an age where people are easily distracted and stupid. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

In some cases, the parents did know the danger and used it as a way to try to have an "accident". Basically, they killed their child.

Some parents are just careless and "forget" that the kid was in the car.

• edward

Obviously they’re high

some parents are lazy and can't be bothered taking their child into the supermarket or the other place they are going.

Why are you complaining? The stories of children "dying" are unconfirmed bullshit.