Anonymous

My boss keeps asking me to work overtime on my days off and now is telling me to cancel my vacation for work, should I say no?

I'm a 17 year old who works retail and my mom already payed for the vacation. I also had lost friends over work aswell. What should I do. I dont want to lose my job but I just want to have a life, should I say no

Favorite Answer

If you requested the vacation and it was approved, then tell the boss that it has already been paid for and it includes other people so you can't cancel it because it would cost them too - it cannot be cancelled because you did not pay for cancellation insurance. If you did not request the vacation and get it approved, then you shouldn't be taking the vacation. When overtime is required, you work it. Unless you made it clear at the interview stage that you would not work overtime, you work when they need you. If you don't want this job, perhaps, it is time to find another job, one that meshes with your life better?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

you should never allow your work to take over your whole life.

tell him to **** off or you will find another job

make sure that you do go on your holiday it sucks getting older and having lots of responsibilies enjoy being young

Depends how much the job matters to you your boss is showing that you being there matters to him of your fine with getting fired do what you gotta do but I recommend you do what your heart desires.

..................................................................

• DEBS

Part of liking a job is liking the boss and how he treats you. In fact, that should be more important than the work you do or your co-workers in most cases. If you already requested this time off and he's now changing his mind, then you have a bad boss. If you didn't tell him about the vacation and were just planning on not being scheduled at that time, then you messed up.

This also comes down to whether you think you can get another job and whether you *need* one or just want one right now.

I'm suspicious about your question. You didn't say whether time off for your vacation had already been approved or not.

If you didn't get approval for time off, it's perfectly legitimate for your boss to say he needs you to work instead. He'd not in business to coddle you and work around your personal schedule.

If you did already get permission for a vacation, and the employer is backing out and telling you to cancel it, that is abusive. If that's the case I'd quit and get another job.

No one can force you to work hours you don't want to work. BUT, saying no could cost you your job.

If you live in the US, labor laws favor the employer over the employee.

Sounds like a summer job? A new one. And one that your Mom doesn't take very seriously.

In the future, it'll be good to keep in mind that the seasonal employees are expected to put their jobs first during the shortened length of time they'll be working them. This does not apply if you'd been working for him for three years and he knew you a dependable employee but, at 17 years of age... that isn't likely the situation.

You can say no. He might or might not tell you he needs employees that fit HIS employment needs and not just the other way around. Or it might all work out great. But your Mom doesn't take this job seriously.

• Kyle

i assume he already approved your time off, correct? if so, just say that you would still like to continue working there, and you'll be back on such and such date.

• Cammie

Simply say that you enjoy your job but already have family plans at the time he wants you to work over time.Be polite and take your vacation.

BTW- Friends who dump you due to canceling plans are strange. you don't need them.