Why did all of my motor oil consume after a year of having it changed, with no hints? No smoke nor leak?

I changed my motor oil in my 2006 G35 Infiniti Coupe about a year ago and just realized that all the oil had been consumed without a trace of smoke while driving or leak from the vehicle. I just had it filled again with a synthetic oil. What could have caused this? I am even suspecting a mechanic (a different one from above) of having dishonestly drained it recently so that I would have to go back to him for filling oil.

In other words, after a year of having oil changed, my oil was all dried up. GONE. With no smoke while driving, and no traces of a leak. Had it mainly parked in my garage and hardly drove it. No oil puddle or stain on garage floor.

• arther

You don't notice the smoke coming out the back when you touch full throttle on the highway usually your looking ahead how often you hold it at full throttle? probably when its sucking the oil in.

• In

I doubt the truth of your story. How could your run an engine with absolutely no oil? The bearings would have seized within minutes.

2006? It is now 13 years later. The engine is not new so it burns oil. Not enough for you to visibly see at a speed so you can see it or smell it but it is being burnt. Why? because it is in the crankcase and splashes around everywhere. Also it is being stopped from going into the motor by rubber oil seals. Rubber (neoprene looks like rubber so I call it rubber) does not last forever and gets rock hard instead of remaining flexible. Once it is rock hard it is like a sock that does not have the elastic in it so it stays up the leg, but slides down to the heel. You know what I mean. When it ain't grabbing then the oil slips past the hardened seals and into the engine...and is burnt. Bit by bit.

. That is why it is YOUR responsibility to check the car for fluids once a week. That is why they made it so easy for you to check, with a DIP STICK, AND clear containers to see if you have coolant because you can see through it and air cleaner cover is a simple clip on cover. The manufacturer's could have sealed up all that stuff so you could do none of it. But they know stuff leaks. That is why you walk around your car and check the tires for air.

If you refuse to do the simple checks, the manufacturer is only too happy to sell you another car. You forked this one. Operator error. Car trade in value=0

"hardly drove it." You drove more than you thought you did.

The guy doing the oil change would not have forgotten to put oil in or you could not drive the car half a mile before it seizes. Some would not make it out of the parking lot. That can be traced back to the oil change shop.

Oil does not evaporate or dry up. It is there on the ground for centuries. There is no oil eating bugs or mold or anything that affects it. So burning is the only other answer.

I got in the habit of checking my oil & other fluid levels (transmission, brakes and coolant along with checking the condition of my belts and hoses under the hood and what the battery connections looked like or if I could see, the water level in the battery) DAILY and tire pressure if I was going out for a drive. If the car just sits in the garage then there is no need. But I pop the hood and check the oil BEFORE THE KEY GOES INTO THE IGNITION. 5 minutes of looking. BFD Better than breaking down on the side of a remote road in the dark during a rainstorm when the full moon is out and all the gangbangers are on the road.

. Getting to a cozy bar is more important to me.

• hart

the oil quality don't matching your engine

Probably pcv valve.

Source(s): .56

If you don't check your oil level every 1,000 miles and let it drop more then half way between the upper and lower dipstick marks be prepared to replace the timing chains and cam advance actuators!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech / Infiniti Tech

It's a 13 year old American vehicle It will burn oil. It's down to you to check the levels weekly..

• Dan

You're an absolute idiot. Dumb enough to go for a year without checking the oil, but then a complete idiot for thinking the Mechanic drained it. VQ35's use oil, deal with it or sell the car.

You should at least check the oil monthly no matter how little you drive. EPIC FAIL

Unless you have enemies, nobody is going drain oil out of it in your driveway or somewhere it is parked around town. That's just being paranoid. Did you ever check it right after it was changed to see if they refilled it properly? It's possibly the shop who changed it didn't. That does happen sometimes unintentionally and is what possibly happened.

How many miles is '' hardly drove it''? An engine can burn oil without producing enough smoke that you'd notice in the rear view mirror while driving. An engine might not noticeably burn oil when idling but may do so under load when driving, especially accelerating or going up hill.

Your question pales into insignificance compared to the risk you have taken with your car. You were very fortunate not to need a new engine. You should check the level on the dipstick every couple of weeks and top up to the MAX mark on the stick. Engines are very expensive to replace.