Viveca asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 months ago

What are the rules of a 4 way stop?

Ok so four way stops really scare me. I get the first come first serve rule, when that happens I’m fine. But what I don’t understand is what to do if someone arrives simultaneously with me. I mean if we’re facing one another and both going straight obviously it doesn’t matter because we won’t hit each other. But what if the person facing me is turning. Do I wait? Or do I go? I don’t understand the furthest right or left rule because to me it seems that me and the person facing me have different rights and lefts. So how do we tell? I’m sure it sounds dumb but I don’t understand that part. It’s the one part of driving that I have never been able to understand and luckily I haven’t run into many four way stops where I live but there is one I always avoid at busy times. I’d like to not feel so scared when I pull up on it so if anyone can help me I’d appreciate it. And not only when they face me but if they’re next to me or on the other side facing the car on my right.

• rick

First one to the intersection goes first. In a tie, the one on the right goes first. Courtesy is the next best tie breaker.

The one that gets there first.

• NONAME

the more aggressive driver goes first...it may sound like hodge podge but that is the rule of the road

The person on the right has the right of way.

That means they go first.

Someone turning waits for you.

• NONAME

right?...no...the person on your left has the right of way!!!

• James

If they are turning left, they wait for you. The left or right rule only applies if they are coming from your right or left, not in front of you.