Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 5 months ago

Son asked dad why his nipples are diferent than mine and why his belly was diferent than mine?

So im 30 and my husband is 32 and we have a litle boy and he is 6 years old.

We three were on the couch and my husband didnt have a shirt on (and thats a normal behavior of him ) and our son was in his lap face to his body because he was sleppy and our son started touching my husband nipples and for the first time he asked why my nipples were different than daddy´s. My husband "anwer" him saying "Mommy´s nipples are different beacause she needed to feed you when you were a baby and every time she feed you , mommys nipples got bigger" of course he was joking, but our son believe haha he have time to learn about the human body thats why my husband asnwer him like this i tought it was very funny haha.

He asked other thing that was " Why dad´s belly have strange shapes and mommys dont?" he was talking about his dad abs.

He one more time answer like "Well its because i go to the gym and men train there to have this strange shapes, kinda strange right son haha".

And he said to our son that his body its going to change in some years and that he wont have big nipples like mom but when he gets older he can have the "strange shapes" (Abs/muscles) like dad. And he said "Right now i dont want you to get older because i love you soo much and i need my litle boy".

Its normal at his age to ask this questions?

Should my husband asnwer him correctly next time he asked about something of the man/women body or still anwer him joking?

as long as he doesnt question the privates

Wtd bloody hell mate

• GB

Curiosity is normal for children, and questions should be answered correctly.

• edward

I lie to my nieces and nephews constantly. They want to ask me questions that quite frankly i don’t know how to answer at such a young age.

Your husband's answer was correct about women's nipples/breasts being used to feed babies. His could have left out the part about them growing, but no harm done. But why is your husband the one answering these questions? That's normally done by the mother, so it can be in a teaching manner, without the "Dad jokes".

It's very normal for young children to ask questions about things around them and about the human body. This is the age when some kids "play doctor" trying to see why girls are different than boys. Should this happen, DO NOT treat it as anything sexual, just a young scientist wanting to know how things work.

If you don't know where to start explain these matters there are lots of great books on the subject. Always tell the truth, answering only the question asked in simple words.

But don't overdo it. There's a joke about a kid who asked his Mom where he came from. After a one hour lesson on anatomy, the Mom asked "Why did you want to know?" and her son answered, "Because Bobby said he came from Philadelphia."

• Pat Wooden

You're right--that was a sexist comment. Whichever parent is more equipped to answer the question should do so, but typically it's the mom who spends more time with the kids and helps them learn new things..

• Jill

Very normal. Curiosity is a very good thing in a child and should be encouraged by their parent/s always answering as honestly as they can, taking their age into account, and using terms they can understand. I don't think your husband answered dishonestly and ended with a loving message. I think you are overthinking.

Until he gets older I think you should stick to what your husband is currently doing. He is too young to understand grown-up answers and if he repeats them as children often do, someone hearing him might conclude that he is being molested or some equally nutty thing.

You might forget to correct this, then your son will be in his teens and still believe it. You should be honest.

• Lôn

Different FROM, not different than.....you must be a Yank!