Do you think Metallica showed that they could do more than just metal or do you think they got too soft on the black album?

I noticed that Metallica mellowed out when they did the black album. The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters were very soft for Metallica. Do you thinking this showed that Metallica had a soft side or do you think they went too soft when they recorded The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters? Clearly those two songs were not Metallica’s normal style.

Even the worst Metallica album "St. Anger" is better than the best albums by Linkin Park and Limpin Bizquit. Listen to the song "Some Kind Of Monster" and you get why.

The Black album had a cool 80's sound. Its ironic that Metallicas most 80's album actually was released in the 90s. This album is among Metallicas best.

From the first album on I was a Metallica fan. I liked the black album when it came out. They lost me with Load and every album since hasn’t gotten any better for me.

Fast forward to today, I find myself only liking the first three albums these days. I still like the band though and like their live performances.

Problems I have with the black album in 2019 is it’s been over played on the radio for so many years! Those songs are worn out!Also, it sounded fresh and modern when it first came out but now sounds a bit Pop too me.

• "The Black Album" was where I got on board with them as a fan. Soft? No way.

They started losing my interest around the Black Album, i still think their first three are their best albums. I don't listen to much metal/thrash anymore but everyone once in a while I have to put on Master or Kill Em All or Ride the Lightning.

Honestly I love all of Metallicas music. They're not trying to prove themselves to people, they don't have to stoop to other people's levels because they're writing the music that they want to hear and like. If people like the music they make, they're obviously grateful but if some people don't like their music, they don't care and that's the way bands should be. I'm not denying that they mellowed on their music starting with the black album, because they did, but I still love that record.

fade to black was also very soft but people don't hate ride the lightning because if it and one and sanitarium are soft but people don't hate And Justice for All nor Master of Puppets people just hate the black album because it was different and exclude sad but true, wherever i may roam, and Don't tread on me.

Nothing Else Matters? Have you HEARD the song? The first half really showcases Jaymz beautiful voice, and the second half rocks as hard as any of their songs. Personally, I love the contrast between the soft, intense part and the hard, head banging part.

I think The Unforgiven rocks plenty hard. That intro is gorgeous.

Not EVERY song has to be thrash. There's plenty of metal in the album. I especially love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9LEOVHt5Bo

Youtube thumbnail

NOBODY can say that one's soft.

• Andrew

'The Black Album' was actually well received by both critics and fans alike. The problem was that instead of standing as a shining example of how a band can develop and progress and grow over time, it later came to be seen as the identifiable point where they completely decided to change direction. Subsequent releases featured songs that didn't have the same bite or the same vision or the same energy they'd summoned before. Their self titled record was their 5th full length album. They've recorded another 5 since then, and they've all been terrible. "Metallica" was never my favourite record, but there were some decent tracks on it. It wasn't until I heard "Load" that I knew it was over for them. In all honesty, I do think that the 2 songs you mention should not have been included on the album, but it was obvious that they were going for a softer, more commercial approach that would win them new fans and get them greater exposure. They succeeded on both fronts, but lost the love and respect of a great many longtime fans.

Long live metallica... New Metallica album expected to drop soon; 20 new songs written thus far. The track listing on the tape includes the songs "Hit The Lights," "The Mechanix," "Motorbreath," "Seek & Destroy," "Metal Militia," "Jump In The Fire," and "Phantom Lord.".

Source(s): By the sounds of the title they pretty hardcore still. Metal music rocks.

Metallica proved that they could compete in other fields of hard rock and heavy metal.

Source(s): .56