should you put lube behind your brake pads?

ive watched countless videos from Chrisfix who has 5million subscribers to other videos where they put a little bit of lube on the back of their break and and on top and bottom where it rides the calipers for anti squeak. My mechanic friend and others are telling me no I shouldn't, brake dust can accumulate. Made me look like a fool as they all argued against me while i told them I've seen countless opinions online from amateur to career machanics saying to use lube. Which is right? And yes, I agree that since car factories dont come with it why should you but are the online opinions ive read wrong then? your thoughts?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • In
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

I wouldn't recommend using grease. Buy brake anti-squeal shims or spray to apply to the back of the pads.

• 4 months ago

All modern braking systems require some type of brake grease. High temp synthetic brake grease for the caliper slide pins and on the anti-slips. Moly grease or anti-seize on the back of noise reduction shims where they contact the metal caliper, and a light film of moly grease on the face of the caliper piston. See this post on what type of brake grease to use and where to apply it. NOBODY uses anti squeal anymore. No needed if you do the brake job correctly in the first place

• 4 months ago

NO. Your mechanic is correct. The only thing to install behind brake pads are the shims that come with OEM (original equipment manufactures) brake pads. Grease behind the brake pads will melt and drip on the rotors, from the rotors tp the new brake pads.

• 4 months ago

Brakes don't make noise if the rake job is done properly and premium brake pads such as Advance Auto Platinum pads are used.

the Platinum pads come with the metal hardware that the pads ride on in the caliper brackets. You need to wire brush, scrape and file the rust off of the brackets before installing the metal hardware.

Grease does pick up dust and it does keep the pads from moving so I don't use grease anywhere but on the slide pins.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

You never put lubrication on your brake pads. You can put a smear of an anti-squeal compound, which is copper-based, on the pad's backing plate; that helps to cut down noise. It's only a smear, not a great big dollop which could work its way round onto the friction material, nor is it ordinary grease or other lubricant..

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Good answer. Just adding that many modern cars use ceramic paste instead such as Ceratec. Copper-grease is conductive so can cause problems with pad wear sensors and ABS sensors.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It is true that thorough scratching away any rust or dirt is important when installing the pads. It is okay to lubricate the edges lightly. The stuff behind the pads is designed to keep the piston glued to the pad, the better to retract.

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Anti-squeal grease/paste is not intended to glue anything together. It’s main purpose is to act as a resonance damper, so that any brake squealing occurs far outside the range of human hearing.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Do not ever put any lubricant on the brake pads or rotors. Brakes rely on friction to stop you are putting lubricant on there will, make them fail. I think you can buy anti squeal products which will stop the noise but will not affect your ability to stop. Check with your local car parts shop.

• don r
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Anti squeal compound is what you should use on the back of the brake pads to prevent squeaking. Some folks will use high temperature wheel bearing grease and be relieved of squeaking. The friction face of the pad should never be greased or stained with anything. You do not want the caliper to get greasy ever.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      4 months agoReport

Didn't say the friction side or the rotor. The back and sliding parts, pins. Glad you differentiate though instead of taking out of context like 2 did. Don has far more Common Sense.

• 4 months ago

Its optional. You don`t have to as they have an insulation pad on the brake pad. So it comes down to preference.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

IF by ''behind the brake pads'' you mean to lubricate the guide spindles the calipers ride on, the answer is yes - here - https://www.wagnerbrake.com/technical/technical-ti...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.