Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 5 months ago

Why is Smashing Pumpkins such a popular and loved band when their singer is terrible?

The guitars and drums made up for any shortcomings in Billy Corgans voice.

Source(s): nothing

I will say this:

On Siamese Dream & Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Smashing Pumpkins mixed alternative rock with hard rock, heavy metal, shoegaze, progressive rock, dream pop & neo-psychedelia. "Quiet", "Hummer", 'Geek U.S.A.", "Jellybelly" & "Bodies" demonstrated that The Smashing Pumpkins could make extremely, crushingly heavy songs that could smash a mountain, and "Spaceboy", "Luna", "Tonight, Tonight", "Cupid de Locke" & "Galapagos" show that The Smashing Pumpkins could make gentle, delicate songs that were gorgeous and incredibly intimate.

Also, Billy Corgan and James Iha were incredible guitarists, and Jimmy Chamberlin's drumming was powerful, propulsive and jazzy. Billy Corgan's vocals aren't the best on a technical level, but it's that rough, untamed voice that makes The Smashing Pumpkins into who they are.

Also, The Smashing Pumpkins were influenced by Black Sabbath, My Bloody Valentine, Husker Du & The Cure. You have to love that.

• I like 1979 and tonight tonight

• Quato

It used to be possible to have a unique but not stereotypically "good" voice in music and still become popular, you may have grown up during an era in which record labels don't take any risks and your taste reflects that.

• This song

It redeems every other crappy thing they've done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-r-V0uK4u0

Youtube thumbnail

Because of the other members of the band. They help propel the band. Corgan has no idea how lucky he is. The other members of the Smashing Pumpkins, could be doing other things. Because they know what the band is. They helped create something special.

I can only take Billy Corgan's whiny nasally voice in short, small doses...he does indeed wear on you if you try to listen to an entire Pumpkins album. But the overall effect is pretty great most of the time, despite Corgan's nails on a chalkboard singing voice.

• WUWR

Corgan is pretentious and obnoxious, but in a vocal style way he has a thing. It's not for everybody. Not always for me (though it does work for me in some songs), but I wouldn't call him a bad singer.

It's not all about technical skill. I would never put their lead singer in a chorus but the sound is unique and translated emotion well. It sounds nice with rock music. Emotion is the number one thing with music and sometimes the less pretty voices can Express it the best

• Thorn

It's not terrible. That is just your opinion.

One song doesn't make a band