Senior Citizens- Are there any of you on here who've never recovered from the loss of a loved one & now wait patiently for the end?

It depends on what you mean by 'loss'. I haven't lost a loved one to death but I have lost 2 to other women (one was by being tossed aside just before the engagement was to happen) because he met someone else (it lasted a week and she ended it with him after hearing how he'd so deceivingly ended it with me) The second was after a very long marriage when he had an affair with an ex-girlfriend whom he met again decades later.

It would have been easier to cope with losing them to death than the way it happened but I don't wish either of them dead. I am very seriously happy on my own in old age and have all the kids visiting regularly. He sees them rarely.

I am not patiently waiting for the end though. I am enjoying a new life after surviving cancer. It's a great feeling.

No because that is not what my loved ones would want. Life is to precious to waste it on grief and sorrow.

Not waiting patiently, but still miss the loved ones lost

I was 44 when I lost my husband of 20 years. I was just a complete mess the first two years and now four years later I'm not doing so bad but still for some reason turn down every man who is interested in me though. I'm not a senior citizen but happened to peek in here to see what people talked about in this forum.

• Jojo

My "loved one" was killed in a road accident in 1991 and I have lived alone ever since. (by choice). At first I was suicidal but time heals (took 2 years for me to get back to feeling normal and my dogs have been great companions over the years.

I can still become `weepy` when I allow myself to think of my lost "love" but life goes on and being miserable is NOT going to bring back my lost man. So...it makes sense to make the most of what life one has left and look forward, not backwards. One only gets one chance of life so its not wise to allow grief to make it an unhappy one. Life can be cruel, but it can also be joyous. AND.....your are a long time dead, so make life as happy as you can, count your blessings, and don`t wish it gone before your time.

My friend who is 75 is in hospital and has just been told she has to have her leg amputated. She has no real family, just her 2 dogs. She is being positive. Makes me think how trivial MY problems are to hers. I bet YOU have both your legs? Be thankful for what you HAVE got and make the most of the life you have left.

Jmo.

Yes, I'm afraid I fall into this category.

• Nifty Bill

Yeah, me too.  I'm waiting and hoping for my death.

No. It's not wise to let your grief be a memorial to your loved one. Their memory lives in you, while you live. Keep that flame alive as long as you can.

Source(s): Widower, bereaved parent, grief counselor

I've not got there yet (losing my beloved hounds over the years has been hard enough, so I do have some experience of how it feels). I would say that if I'm left, I will be totally on my own with no close family since my parents and only sibling are all dead. My personal circumstances will be dire too - I'll be unable to support my current life-style, such as it is. So what happens if I am the one left behind, I just can't think about. To be honest, as at least he'll be able to keep this home if I go first, I just hope it works out that way!

Once I see my current hounds through their life - my waiting 'for the end' may not involve me being patient.

• Jojo

Is this you V? Sounds very much like.

That has been my state of mind when my wife of 29 years passed in 2011 until recently. I would liken it to going from eating in a fine restaurant all your adult life to being reduced to looking at others doing the same through the front window of the restaurant.

• Billy5 months agoReport

Sounds to me like she was/IS your kindred spirit, David.

My loved one would have been cross if I wasted what's left of my life, as indeed I would have been if they did the same. Unfortunately death is part of life and I am at least fortunate in having a loving family for support.