How do I get over the feeling of embarrassment?

I work in reception at a University, I’ve been there for 3 years and have had students be extremely rude to me but it never bothered me. Today a student called me and told me she was sexually abused by a teacher, she has spoken to my manager and was expecting a call today. I told her my manager was on the phone but... show more I work in reception at a University, I’ve been there for 3 years and have had students be extremely rude to me but it never bothered me. Today a student called me and told me she was sexually abused by a teacher, she has spoken to my manager and was expecting a call today. I told her my manager was on the phone but I’ll take a message, she started swearing at me for the next 20 minutes and there were other students waiting in reception so I couldn’t even say anything to defend myself. I put her on hold so she called again on a different phone. I felt helpless so I went to my manager and just started crying. Now I just feel too embarrassed to go to work tomorrow because it was such a stupid reason to cry.
8 answers 8