Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 5 months ago

Was My Teacher A Bully?

Recently I've been having this debate with one of friends about a teacher we had in middle school. I claim that she was a bully while he disagrees with me.

She had a reputation for being uptight and strict. I was quiet and shy kid who often daydreamed in class and missed homework assignments. Because of that, she would sometimes make sarcastic comments at me whenever she saw me talking to friends. She was often harsher with me than other students. Whenever a student missed a homework assignment, she'd take points off their homework grade. For me, I was often given detention or a phone call home.

She once gave us an assignment, in which we had to research a topic and give a 5 minute speech. Since I felt uncomfortable about speaking in front of the class, I didn't want to give the speech and I kept losing points every day I did not give the speech. After a phone call home, she gave me one more chance. The next day, she changed her mind and refused to let me give my speech, despite letting other classmates make up theirs. A few days later, after a vocabulary quiz, she told me that she wasn't going to count my answer on the last question after a few students loudly complained that I was still writing down my answer after she told everyone to put their pencils down.

Would you say she was a bully or not?

Favorite Answer

By the sounds of it, she's a bully

You have ADHD predominately inattentive type. You teacher should have realised that and got you help but she was too dumb. All that being said I used to think it was bad how viciously mean teachers were in the 1970s they were much worse than you describe. But then my son had teachers who just didn't care if he did his homework or anything else so at least she was sort of trying but she was also kind of a bully and it seems like she played favorites which is absolutely unacceptable.

• MIApac2 months agoReport

I kind of wished this was the best answer instead of the one that was chosen 

Humiliation is a teaching technique. You want to be lazy every lesson then everyone will know about it.

But it should be used in small amounts.

Would I say? No, because it is obvious that you had constant issues with her. Has she given you chances? Where you rude to her? If she is so strict and up tight maybe you should have done the homework on time and did the speech and got it out of the way. Typically a teacher is more likely to give a student extra time if he/she rarely is late on a assignment. She would be more understanding but by the way you make it sound it is not just a isolated incident

yes indeed they were a bully

I'd say 'f*ck it' and give you an 'A' anyway. I don't even want to see you again next year. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink, ya know? School is subjective. Give students an 'F' and they'll consider themselves incapable failures for the rest of their lives. Give them an 'A' and they'll believe they can do anything.

No not atall, she sounds just like me. I’m a teacher and I would be just as strict if not even stricter.

• TheBellJar

You are a moron who doesn't know that inattentive ADHD (which this girl clearly has) is a disability. Heaven help the kids saddled with you and your bad attitude. Empathy free psychopath and ignoramus.

she sounds like a bully to rne too

No, she wasn't. She was certainly very strict, but by your own admission you used to daydream, and missed homework assignments, and kept on not giving your speech, without giving her a good explanation and apology for not doing it. .

Naturally she had to be a bit harder on you than on other students who DIDN'T day dream or miss their homework.

As a former teacher myself, I would have found you extremely irritating.

• bluebellbkk

Dear me. What unwarranted aggression. By the way, I didn't say I would 'pick on ' a student like that; I said I would find them extremely irritating, and that's for sure. But I would still try to help the student.

Sounds like she was bending over backwards to give you more chances than you deserved. She should have kicked your behind the 1st time you messed up. But she kept giving you a second and third chance. She was too lenient and the other kids noticed.