Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 5 months ago

I really really dislike kids...!?

I know you might think I’m an abnormal human being and I should burn in hell for writing this, but I REALLY don’t like kids. I’m 16 (F) and I realized since I was about 13 that I don’t really like little kids or babies. My friends coo at these babies and kids while I’m just awkwardly standing there like “no thank you”. My parents have tried to make me feel bad about it since they expect children from me, but I don’t feel ungrateful or selfish at all in that case.

I thought that I would change overtime, but it seems like this dislike gets worse over the years. I just find kids to be gross, noisy and loud which is understandable since they’re kids but I can’t be around them. I don’t like holding babies and I don’t have those “maternal” instincts in supposed to have. If a kid falls down and scrapes his knee, my first reaction won’t be to help him....just suck it up it’s not that bad. Does this make me an awful human being?

Am I still normal?

• J-Dawn

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. If you dislike kids, don't have any or go into any kid-related professions. Pretty simple.

why kids can be pretty cool okay

I didn't like kids when I was your age but now I do. I want babies one day

Yes, OK, fine, but you don't need to be so aggressive telling us about it.

• edward

So what? Kids aren’t for you, theres a reason you’re not thinking of working with kids. First job i had was as a swimming instructor for 0-6 yrs old. Those were the kinds of classes i liked teaching. The job now, i am a nurse specializing in peds. I work with kids all the time. Maybe you’ll feel different about your own kids?

thats ok, while you still need to be kind and respectful to children you do not have to have them yourself and its ok to distance yourself from them because you feel uncomfortable. some people just aren't meant to have children, i hope your parents can understand this.

Yes it's perfectly normal not to want kids or to be around them.

I'm 49, married for 27 years and neither my spouse nor I ever wanted kids. I agree that they are noisy, sticky, dirty, smelly, needy, exhausting, expensive and there were other things I wanted to do with my life.

That being said, I rarely tell anyone that I dislike kids. It's rude. I mean what if someone says they don't like 16 year olds. Or daughters. Or people that are a certain color or from a certain country.

There is no reason for me to tell anyone that I dislike little kids. I don't even think I told my spouse that. There is a difference between saying you don't want to have kids and actually disliking them.

When I am around kids I behave within the appropriate social norms. Again, I don't have to like them, but IMO it's not ok to be rude simply because they're kids. Yes of course I'd help a kid if they fell and scraped their knee. Yes, I do have empathy for other human beings regardless of their age.

If you're truly someone who would be rude or neglectful to a vulnerable person simply because of their age, yes, I think that makes you a pretty awful person. Sorry, that's the cold hard truth.

You're entitled to whatever likes/dislikes you happen to have. But if you behave like a jerk, you're a jerk.

Don't worry about it. Some of us aren't natural parents. I grew up in a Catholic family and spent summers babysitting, teaching vacation bible school and working with small children. I loathed every minute of it and couldn't stand the kids. Everyone told me I'd change my mind when I was older. I'm now 51. My husband and I are happily childfree. He has co-workers with small children and regularly comes home and thanks me for not making him deal with that. Many people are completely happy living without kids. Nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is having children you don't want and can't care for.

You are fine feeling the way you do but be aware it is possible that your feelings might change as you get older.

You are still a child yourself. When I was 16yrs old I never wanted to get married or have kids. I even didn't have interest in boys or dating, I didn't bother going to school dances as I thought they were boring and for popular kids. I planned on moving to New York at 18 & becoming an actress on stage and eventually film.

What happened? I married at 18 after dating a man 8yrs older than me for less than 3 months. I was expecting my first child at 19. We are a homeschooling family. I've been married 25yrs & love him even more than I did back then.

My point is what you want at 16 is rarely the same thing you will want when you are older.