I accepted another job but then my current boss offered me a raise?

I have been looking for a new job for the past few weeks and I was finally offered a job for a lawn care company. I’ve been looking for a job due to a necessity of higher pay. When I gave my current boss my two weeks notice he was shocked and asked me what he could do for me to stay and he was willing to give me a raise that was actually higher then then the lawn service company was offering. Now I don’t know what to tell the employer from the lawn company, my current boss just told me to ghost him lol, but that seems kind of messed up. I’m planning on calling him later today. Can you guys give me some tips on how I should go about this situation, should I tell him the truth that my current boss gave me a higher salary or to just let him know that I won’t be able to take the job without an explanation.

• zipper

You call him and thank him for considering you as a higher y, but tell him your old job want to keep you on.

Please do not accept the raise from the boss. Move to the new job. I made the same mistake and stayed in my current position and took the raise. Then my boss started treated me like crap.

NEVER ever Ghost anyone! If you want to stay at the current job, tell the new one that tried to hire you that you were offered a pay raise at the old place and decided to stay with them.

This does two things -- it won't leave the other place in the lurch about trying to fill their position AND it may get them to top the offer your 'current' boss gave you.

It's extremely juvenile to just not show up for work at a place that hires you. Be an adult and tell them you can't take the job after all and thank them for their time.

• Judy

You can just say that your sitation has changed and you are no longer available.

• martin

Don't do anything without an explanation. If you're comfortable at work, don't jump over to a different employer. However, if you stay, tell the other employer the full story.

Sorry you struggle over such simple as fk things. Call and tell the new employers what has happened and therefore you will be staying where you are and thank them for the opportunity. Tahdah!!!!!!!!!

What is so hard about it? Just tell they guy politely that your current employer offered more money so you're staying put for now.

When did you accept the new job? If within the last day or two, just call that other boss and tell them you wont be taking the job. If you are scheduled to start tomorrow (which seems unlikely considering you just gave two weeks), the its too late.

You can always go back and tell them the new offer from your current employer.

Ultimately, if the only reason to move was money and you like your current employer, do whatever you can to stay.

• kelvin

you tell them the truth and maybe they might offer you even more money

• Mark

Oh, sweet God. How many times are you going to post this? You make me ashamed to share a name with you.

• Mark5 months agoReport

lol send a link, it might be my future self