Breakthrough asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 5 months ago

Does the human body need sugar to sleep properly?

I'm on a low carb diet and I find when my sugar intake or meat intake is too low - I often have difficulty falling asleep at night

I need - either sugar or meat - to be able to get decent sleep

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You need carbs for your body to function properly. A person doesn't necessarily need to eat sugar, though.

• 5 months ago

You sure you dont like any exercise,because thats just what would make your health going well!?Can you promise yourself to walk 30 minutes per day on your own feet?THAT would start the real change!

• 5 months ago

You need some form of glucose for your blood sugar levels to be healthy but you don't need to eat sugary foods or soda to get it. Just foods that stabilize your blood sugar and you'll be good to go.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

People saying humans don’t need sugar are very wrong. You do but not a lot of it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • k w
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

we all need to move our bodies, the cortisol in our blood is what keeps us up, so get some exercises or walking or calisthenics in befor 6pm to get that burned off then you can get to sleep

• Dima5 months agoReport

Just a perfect advice!Some workouts would do the trick really!

• 5 months ago

No. There is actually no dietary requirement for carbohydrates at all. Your body does need various nutrients (vitamins and minerals) as well as essential fatty acids from fats, essential amino acids to form proteins, and calories. Whether you get your nutrients and calories from sugars, fruits, grains or other sources is up to you. If you are on a low carb diet, you really, really, really don't want to have a lot of carbs right before bed.

First, try any of these low carb/"keto friendly" bedtime drinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8snQkGfGA

Youtube thumbnail

Instead of giving in to a "carb fix" at night, try and or all of these to help you sleep:

1. Make sure you are getting enough calories and essential nutrients throughout the day.

2. If you are eating less that 6 ounces of protein/day, try eating a little more -- not necessarily at night -- but just a little more at meals.

3. Make sure you are also well hydrated early in the day.

4. Take a magnesium supplement after dinner.

5. Take a melatonin supplement after dinner.

6. Take a warm (not hot) shower before bed.

7. Stop using electronics at least an hour before bed. The blue light from tablets, TVs, and phones actually tells your brain to "wake up."

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

that would be no

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Well... no human needs sugar at all, period. It may be helpful to people with certain medical conditions because it gets glucose to the bloodstream fast. Some people in modern times though have just developed a sugar dependency and need to ween themselves off of it. It will mess with your blood pressure and other things like sleep for a while because your body needs it right now. I would suggest eating slow-digesting carbs instead, but you wouldn't be able to maintain a low-carb diet. Meat and protein are more important though, it's more likely that is the issue.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.