Do you think it's right when an MP switches parties once elected?

Which potentially means someone uses their acceptance speech to announce their allegiance to the BNP.

An MP should not be allowed to switch parties without calling a by-election.

I plan on turning up to work pissed tomorrow. Churchill did it so it must be OK, according to dimwit Harrison.

• shroud

NO when the person ran for office that person declared certain values and beliefs, which is why people voted for him/her

to change parties after getting in office is the same as lying to all those people, they never would have voted for the other party

• gerald

in a democratic society yes this is not a democratic society its a gravy train where money buys votes , Please do not suggest this is not a disaster or even we are not morons in helping create it for purely selfish reasons that is not democracy its dogma

No they should resign and stand for re-election on the policies of the new Party they have joined.

Winston Churchill once crossed the floor of the House to be a Liberal when he was elected a Tory,so if he did it then its ok,

No I don't think they have any integrity when they do that. I'm surprised the electorate puts up with it actually.

• Once they've been elected they should honour their role and stay within the party.

• Biff

It isn't unreasonable for MPs to switch parties if their party has moved away from the platform on which they were elected. But immediately switching parties would be dishonest.

No. If they claimed to represent a particular party at election they should stand down if they are then going to renege on that.

It's the person that is elected, not the party. The electorate has to judge the integrity of the candidate.

The power of recall does not seem to apply to MP's switching party.

In my opinion switching party is part of the democratic process - an MP can rebel against his own party f they mislead the electorate.

_______________

I can't ever see enough MP's doing that to alter the party the electorate voted for. If one Labour defected to give tory a majority of 1, then so-be-it really - otherwise MP's would become automatons of a political party, unabl to quit it.

_______________

I agree that in some cases it would be 'not right' - but it should be legal, and the MP needn't quit