Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 5 months ago

Does the natural sugar in fruit count to the 25 grams maximum daily amount consumed a day? ...?

I’m just confused as I thought it was that you should only count the added sugar in foods that count to the 25 g maximum intake like added sugar in sweets chocolate milk sauces and so on. But natural sugar isn’t the same as table sugar? Also does eating too much fruit contribute to type two diabetes? Fruit is healthy. And like a small amount of fruit if you count the amount of natural sugar in like a banana some strawberry’s and an apple for example all comes to around 25 grams of sugar... surely if sugar in fruit counted to the 25 grams amount a day people would be eating way over with chocolate and so on eaten a day plus the fruit. And also in vegetables.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Todd
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Table sugar causes a bigger spike in blood sugar levels. You should know that a study was done over a period of 20 years and found that Americans are the most lacking of fruit in their diet.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes it does count

• 5 months ago

no it doesn't boy or girl

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

No. Not unless you have diabetes and then I have no idea what guidelines diabetics should follow. But the guidelines for a healthy person is no more than 25 grams of added sugar. You don't count sugar in while foods like fruit, vegetables, dairy etc. Just added sugar.

Sugar from fruit can contribute to diabetes but it depends on how much fruit you are eating and the rest of your diet. A few pieces of fruit isn't going to give anyone diabetes but if you eat 10+ pieces a day, a lot of added sugar, a ton of carbs in general then yeah you are setting yourself up for diabetes.

• Louis
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Even a ton of fruit won't in and of itself contribute to diabetes. Each piece of fruit includes fiber. Which slows the digestion of sugar and keeps those insulin spikes from occuring.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Yes. ANY source of sugar (glucose, dextrose, malts, fructose, lactose, etc.) is considered a net carb or "sugar" if you are counting them. The reason is that any source of sugar -- even fruit -- is turned into the same thing once you eat it and it causes the same biochemical reaction in your body.

Just as an example, a cup of grapes has about 60 calories and 16 grams of carbohydrates. Of those, 15 grams are sugar. That means 58 of the 60 calories comes from sugar. That sugar turns into glycogen in your stomach and goes into your blood stream of "fuel." Your body then produces insulin to tell your cells to open up and use this fuel for energy. The insulin also tells your body to stop using fat and to store fat if the cells have more "fuel" than they need.

While there are certainly vitamins and fiber in fruit, that doesn't negate the fact that fruit is loaded with sugar. People who follow a paleo or Keto diet rarely eat fruit, and when they do it is more likely to be blueberries than an apple or banana. Eating three servings of fruit isn't a lot of calories, but it will definitely cause a blood sugar increase and the resulting release of insulin to deal with it.

• Louis
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Paleo includes fruit. but both keto and paleo are unhealthy so don't use those as examples. The thing is that each piece of fruit also includes fiber. and the fiber slows down the digestion and absorption of sugar. so no insulin spikes. in fact, I believe there are even some net benefits.

• 5 months ago

Yes. If you're going over, you quit eating the chocolate, not the fruit.. DUH.

• 5 months ago

There is no reason humans have to consume sugars at all -- including fruits. The fruits with the lowest fructose (sugar) are berries.

Natural sugars process the exact same way as table sugar in the body. Sugar is sugar.

• k w
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

no it doesn't.......

• 5 months ago

You could literally never eat enough fruit to give you diabetes.

• 5 months ago

It is complicated - I am type 2 diabetic caused probably by bad diet but not too much sugar but as I have to watch my sugar intake I have to consider the natural sugar in fruit as my body sees it as sugar and nothing else but carbs is worse as carbs turn to sugar when digested and even vegetables contain carbs and bananas are high in carbs

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.