Anonymous

taking a week vacation one month after being hired?

i applied for a job and got an interview but it totally slipped my mind that i’m going on a family vacation august 16-25th. i plan on mentioning it in the interview this upcoming Tuesday & was wondering what others opinions are on it? do you think i might not get the job bc of it? i’m 16 btw

Favorite Answer

Just tell them that your start date would unfortunately have to be after the 26th because of prior family commitments. They might not hire you BUT you might get lucky and they might not need you before the 26th

update: they still hired me <3

You need to make sure you let them know as soon as possible

• David

My first job after college I worked about 3 weeks then they had a 2 week shutdown. I rode my motorcycle up to Mt Washington NH, Bar Harbor Maine, down to Philly, back home then up to Canada for a week. YOLO.

At the beginning of the interview just tell them that due to that prior commitment you will not be able to work from August 16 to the 25th. This may stop them from wasting time with you.

bad bad bad ideia donut doi t

• audrey

You won't get the job. Why would they train you only to have to cover you for 2 weeks?

That's 10 days of vacation, significant. All you can do is mention it. If the job is important to you, you might say that you're willing to keep working at that time, but what do they think of your taking off for that period? If the vacation is important to you, be prepared to turn down the job if they require you to work that period.

• MYOB

whether or not you get the job will not depend on the vacation. that will depend on how you conduct yourself. as to the vacation if you do not mention it legally you cannot take it. by mentioning it the firm will be obliged to let you have it. that is if you get the job.

Source(s): many interviews and now retired

Depends on the job and the hiring manager. There is a good chance you will not get the job because they will choose the person who doesn't need time off soon after getting hired. Btw, you have not been hired yet. Why not apply for jobs after your vacation?