Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 5 months ago

Can you prove that numbers exist?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

No.

They are a construct. They were designed by humans to help us understand things.

Yes.

You can turn to some page in a mathematics book and find things known as numbers, along with their definition and meaning.

• 5 months ago

The number is a word or symbol (such as “five” or “16”) that represents a specific amount or quantity.

• 5 months ago

Numbers are symbols (with names) used with the part of language which describes quantities.

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Only as abstract concepts.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ian H
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

In physical terms you can have 5 bananas or 5 coins but I cannot put 5 in your hand.

The number 5 is the idea or concept that measures the number of bananas or coins or of anything.

Number concepts do exist, but in our minds; there are lots of things that exist without them being

physical. We can then use numbers to estimate or calculate amounts of actual things.

Other abstract concepts do similarly exist.Think of holidays or emotions or kindness or creativity.

If you can count, then numbers exist for you. They mean less to a butterfly.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They don't tangibly or physically exist. They are an idea or mental process that some animals have evolved to help live in the real world. Humans have just developed the idea much further.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I actually have a couple of very complete answers for you.

Unblock your user account and I'll share.

• 5 months ago

You might enjoy reading the following essay:

• Explain, without math, how you were able to ask your question to a complete stranger who may be on the opposite side of the world at this very moment.

• Norman
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I can prove number twos exist.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.