What happens if I obtain my RN-BSN and don’t use it for a while?

I’ve come to a point in my life where I want to make a change from my boring life style. I have taking an interest in flight attendant positions. After extensive research it looks amazing and a lot of fun for myself. I’m currently in school for RN/BSN and have a 2 years left. I would like to finish school. My question is - if I don’t use my degree straight after college, what happens? Do I have to return to school again?

• Jason

Once you pass the NCLEX, you're an RN for life.

BUT

You have to hold a license to use it. State licensure requires that you work a minimum number of hours per year in the field to maintain an active license. You can pay a reduced fee to hold your license as inactive, but then you can't work and have to pay to activate it again. Most states require a minimum number of continuing education hours in order to re-activate an inactive professional license.

The hardest part is ever getting hired. NO ONE comes out of school knowing how to be a good nurse. The purpose of school is to teach you how to learn how to be a nurse once you get out into the world. School teaches you the bare minimum to perform, then you go out and work and learn how to get good at being a nurse. New grad nurses don't know squat. It takes years of working in the field to develop proficiency. That's true of all disciplines. Nobody ever got better at anything by not doing it.

And so with that comes hiring. As a hiring manager, a new grad who has not worked in the field for a significant period of time is useless at best and a danger to patients at worst. They've lost a tremendous amount of knowledge and skill, and they never spent any time developing what they did learn after school. A brand new nurse out of school still has months of orientation to get through to be minimally competent on their unit. Now imagine that person hasn't used anything they learned in school for two years. No one is hiring that nurse. No one.

If you go right from school to doing something non-nursing, I wouldn't plan on getting a good nursing job. Not right away at least. Your competition will be other new grads who HAVEN'T been out of school for a couple of years. How can you compete against that for a job?

Best wishes.

.

Source(s): Working on my master's in nursing
  • edward

You need to keep your licence, the degree is forever and ever and ever. If you don’t use it you may have a hard time getting hired later because we all know that there are hundreds of nurses graduating per year, we need them but we won’t miss one person who didn’t take it seriously.

• juliet

Could you maybe attempt to become a flight nurse? What a shame it would be to put in all those years/hours of tests, studying, stress, and NCLEX prep only to not use your degree. And if you don’t use it, you lose it; it’ll be very hard to jump into nursing if you don’t use that degree within a few months.

if you pass the NCLEX and keep it current (with CEUs etc) you do not need to go back to school, however, you may find you have a hard time getting a job since you will have a critical gap--right after you graduate. You learn the most on your first job, and that may be a real problem. The degree is forever, its the license that needs to be kept current.