They say philosophy was the precursor to modern psychology. Would we be better off had we just stuck with philosophy? Do psychologists do?

more harm than good? And if psychology is no more of a ‘science’ than philosophy, then why do psychologists consider their discipline to be “scientific”? Is it to give themselves an aura of professional legitimacy which they do not necessarily deserve? Does overstepping the bounds of their knowledge and experience of human nature do more harm than good to those whose ‘conditions’ they purport to analyze and treat? Could not a philosopher give as much comfort and healing to somebody in psychological, emotional or spiritual distress as one of these ‘pseudo-scientific’ psychologists?

''Would we be better off had we just stuck with philosophy? ''

NO

''Do psychologists do more harm than good?''

A FEW DO. MOST DON'T.

''And if psychology is no more of a ‘science’ than philosophy...''

FALSE POSTULATE. You apparently know little to nothing about the very broad and deep field of psychology. It is very much a science and most aspects can be and are subjected to rigorous scientific principles. Yes there are some aspects of its application that are experimental or speculative and as much art as science [which is true of almost any science] but the bulk of it is soundly scientific.

''Does overstepping the bounds of their knowledge and experience of human nature do more harm than good to those whose ‘conditions’ they purport to analyze and treat? ''

OF COURSE some does but most does not. The same can be said of any branch of medicine. You are discussing psychology as if there have been no advancements in the past century and as if it were a very narrow field only dealing with therapy which it is not.

'' ‘pseudo-scientific’ psychologists?''

YOU'RE obviously extremely biased. Wrong philosophical approach Sparky

''Could not a philosopher give as much comfort and healing to somebody in psychological, emotional or spiritual distress as one of these ‘pseudo-scientific’ psychologists?''

YES. Often this can be true. Apparently you've never observed a Rabbi or Priest or Buddhist monk at work for example. I encourage you to give this one a listen https://bswa.org/teachings/

HOWEVER there are many mental conditions that cannot be addressed philosophically. If you refuse to believe that you ought to have your head examined. lol

• Zaphod Beeblebrox

No I live with one Sparky. You obviously didn't ask to learn anything. You obviously asked rhetorically as a grandstand for your distorted opinion. Have a bed experience with a shrink did you? Your attitude and response sure seems to explain a lot. Go take your Prozac.

I had a phd psychologist who was a college professor for 7 years. Everything I understand about psychology I learned myself. She treated nothing. I believe they know what they're doing but choose not to apply it to about 85% of patients.

They are basically elitist people and elitist people don't honestly want the best for others. If society was mentally healthy there would be no need for them, they would have no dominance. These types are all about dominance.

It amounted to "talk" therapy. Some call it venting therapy. They offer no solutions because they don't tell you what to do. They will often go I don't know.

Yes, I would prefer a philosophy major. Mine had a philosophy degree but it made no difference however.

Its basically political. Therapists are all liberal elitists. If you look up psychopoltics this will really open your eyes.