How common is it to have a combo of both drum and disc brakes on each rear wheel? Inside the disc rotor there’s a drum brake system.?

Car is a 2016 Subaru STI

• zipper
    Favorite Answer

Yes that is your parking brake system, the hand brake. This is normal on some vehicles.

• john5 months agoReport

Thanks, I haven’t really ever had to remove rotors before and still learning when it comes to working on my car. I always thought the parking brake was combined with either your disk or drum braking system and never knew that having a separate brake housing in the rear rotors was ever a thing.

• Jay P

I have no idea of how common it is from a percentage perspective but I know several manufacturers have a rear disc ( for the regular brakes ) and a drum ( for the parking brake ) combination set-up.

• JetDoc

The DRUM brake is your parking brake.

That's the parking brakes

It is common these days on cars with 4-wheel disc brakes. It didn't use to be common at all except on very expensive vehicles.

very common. drum is your parking brake.

The drum part is the cable operated parking or E brake.