Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

Why do people dislike mental illness medication so much?

I just ask because when with a counsellor, she said something like '...because we want to try to keep you off medication unless necessary.' and I realised this is something I've heard quite often. I just wondered why it was seen as a bad thing when it's just take a pill and feel better. I know nothing about it, but if I'd been given the offer, I'd take it. I'm also underage, I don't know if that effects it? I get it might sometimes give you stomach aches or something like that, but for me, that honestly seems worth the result.

It’s a combination of stigma and side effects. I have seen people with health problems almost die from antidepressants. Some of those medications cause problems like weight gain, irregular pulse, high blood pressure, the list goes on.

• Ann

Psychoactive drugs have many side effects, just like other medications do. If you're thinking about medications for anxiety or depression, there are alternatives that can deal with those conditions. Medications for schizophrenia or bipolar disorders are needed to control those conditions; however, they also have some pretty strong side effects and that's why patients don't like to take them.

The amount of side effects they have.

All of the side-effects that arise over time just to get a little bit of peace isn't worth it. It's a paradox really, you take drugs to "feel better" but you're really adding to your problems because of all the side-effects.

The big problem with psych drugs is that most mental health practitioners don't appreciate the true dangers of them, and receive very little training in pharmacology and biochemistry, as to have a firm understanding of how these drugs actually work in the body. For example, benzodiazapines can be outright dangerous in the setting of PTSD (though some practitioners still prescribe them for this because they haven't caught up with the research or else are otherwise ignorant of the fact). Another example is that fact that anti-depressants have been documented to increase suicide rates when not managed correctly. The problem comes out of the sheer quackery of the mental health profession as a whole when it comes to using these drugs responsibly. A few horror stories in the media and a few deaths because of a few idiots, and an anti psych drug campaign was born.

Most see it as a crutch and a sign of weakness.. no one wants to be reliant on a pill..

• Amy6 months agoReport

Sweetheart, you dont f.u.c.king know me.. also i was just answering the question.. get over yourself.

• bubba

Because all medications have side effects , the less meds you need to take the better

All medication have side effects, the stronger the meds the stronger the negative effects. They can range from throwing up to clots on the blood, etc. You can’t take meds and get results, most mental pills like depression medications require 2-3 months before results are noticable. On the other hand side effects can be there from day 1. Everything has pros and cons, meds, vaccines, abortions etc.

• Stella

If she's trying to keep you off it's because she believes that your case is not so severe.

This is a good thing.

The side effects can be worse than an upset stomach.

They could include significant weight gain, diabetes, and other serious problems. Consider that even an upset stomach can turn into a serious problem since you would likely be on medication for your entire life.

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-pros-and-con...

There are lots of different mental illnesses.

Each may have several different types of possible medications.

From your question I am going to guess you are meaning depression and anti-depressants.

There are a whole range of these with various possible side effects.

Worst-case scenario is they can make some people suicidal and in others cause side effects that can last the rest of their life.

Best case scenario is they help (to varying degrees) in about 50% of cases.

So giving you these pills has a 50/50 chance of not helping and may actually make you worse.

Even if they do help, they may cause other side effects.

Given that just as good tesults are achieved with just therapy as are achieved with just pills, there is a reluctance to risk giving these pills ouf u less all other options have been tried.