Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesJeep · 5 months ago

Why won't my key come out?

Hi there, I recently purchased a 2004 Jeep Wrangler automatic. It runs really well and I'm loving the jeep life. But one thing I can't understand, sometimes when i put the car into park to turn off the car the key won't come out of the ignition? The car will still start up and turn off but it gets stuck occasionally. To get the key of I turn back on the car and either pull up or reverse it a little bit. It always comes out but I'm curious why this happened a and how to fix it. Thanks so much!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

It's about $20 to get a Dorman replacement cylinder and 15 mins to set the pins correctly to match your key.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

The release adjustment is out of adjustment. This is why pulling the gear shift up cause the key to release. Should be a minor adjustment at Jeep.

• 5 months ago

Do a search on youtube for that problem

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Squirt some WD40 into the key hole. That will improve matters. Although it may be the steering wheel locking the key in place. A small movement of the wheel should release it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Either what others said or you turned steering wheel into locked position against theft before puling the key out .

• 5 months ago

Probably don’t have it completely shift to park, I’ve had that happen before.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Check gearshift lever, that is usually cause

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.