What is difference between digital and analog TV? Which one do you use?

• John

Digital signals are binary (square wave). Either you get a perfect signal or you get no signal. Analog signals are multipath (sinusoidal wave). The picture might be snowy, but at least you get a signal.

In 2009 analog signals were turned off in the favor of digital. They gave out coupons for converter boxes, but those boxes don't convert the signal to analog. That just allow you to watch digital signals on an analog TV. Digital signals can be either Standard Definition (coaxial) or High Definition (HDMI).

Digital. I will be surprised if there is still anologue TV around

Clarity for one thing; digital is. Dpi is denser with digital. Analogue tvs wont work any more in Australia. Have not for kanye years in fact. You could probably hook one up to an old VHS prayer and play your old VHS tapes still though, but that is about it.

There's only one answer

denser color spots,,shrunk down to pixels,,giving greater color fleshtone green scenery fidelity,stable frame movement,w out blurring,& washout,

I use a dig-analog device to hook into my 80 buck zenith 1991 vintage

tube tv,,pic delivered from my acer laptop,free movies on you tube, other movie sources like sonys' crackle,popcornflix flixtor,etc, fine CC dialog I often cannot read,but the rest,, predator flix,independance day 1 & the new one,with 16 speakers,inc woofers, the pic is better than some sportsbar viewing screens,costing I guess 400 bucks each,

TV plus an old used fridge I needed,both delivered,,80 bucks in 2003,

I'll use the zenith till I smoke it,,sorta like an old tube fisher tuner,,mellow sound.

Analog TV is history in north America .

5 answers

If I were to upgrade to 49-inch 4K TV, what differences would I notice between the 4K and 1080p?

• Tavy

Analog has long gone in the U.K.

There is no analogue signal in the UK.

All TV is digital today. Back in the 80s (I think) the TV channels were moved to a new band. And the signal was changed from analog to digital.

In analog TV, the picture was broken up into lines and each line was sent out one at a time. It was low voltage for high brightness and high voltage for low brightness. In between lines there was a pulse to use for timing so the TV could synchronize. And during that pulse, there was a little signal that defined the colors of the line.

But this kind of information is much easier to use in a digital form. The analog line is converted to a series of numbers which encode brightness and hue. So once everything is numbers, a microprocessor that costs about 50 cents can do whatever you want with those numbers cheap/quick/easy. A digital TV today has about six parts in it.

• DCM5150

It was not 2009 - that was the original date that the FCC said ALL broadcasts must be in digital (of course this was changed t0 2021but nearly all are digital today) but there was analog/digital simulcast since the 1990s