edward
edward asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 year ago

How do you deal with your child when this happens?

I am in a little bit of a pickle. My son is always walking around the house and running places. He spends a lot of time in the kitchen now. I was cooking yesterday and i saw his little hand start to creep up (i guess because the element looks pretty) and i gave him a little pop (swat) on his hand and then he looked at me like i just stole his bike or something. Like “daddy, how could you?!” kind of thing. Of course i don’t want him to burn his tiny hands but i wish he didn’t look at me like that. Other parents. What do you do about that?

i would have slapped his hand away from the stove, and i also would have told him never to touch or get too close to a hot stove because its dangerous

Say sorry and explain to him

Swatting a hand away from something dangerous is obviously essential. I wonder what his face would have looked like as the skin seared from his 'tiny hands' and he screamed in absolute pain and terror and had to spend weeks in hospital. Please! Grow a spine. And also, do talk to him, no matter how small, about what hot, cold, and danger are. And why you had to swat his hand away quickly. It would be far more effective than wasting your time agonising on YA.

• Edna

Let your child go ahead and stick his fingers to the heating element on your stove one time. He'll learn the hard way about why you tell him not to touch, and he won't ever want to do it again!

Sit him down and give him a talk about kitchen safety

Well, I actually deal with the situation instead of lazying out and smacking my kid.

Why does Edward have Jacob's photo as an avatar?

• LizB

I don't believe this is a real question, but I don't need to hit my children to get them to behave. In that situation I would have said, "No, don't touch!" and moved the little hand away. And then moved the entire child away if he kept insisting on doing something unsafe.

I recommend teaching your fake son early on how to have confidence and hobbies so he doesn’t need to troll day in and day out on the Internet.