Munir asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 6 months ago

How do I delete a file off of the startup folder before windows boots up?

Ok so let's say I put a batch file in the startup folder on Windows 10, and restarted the computer and it worked. But now I want to delete it before it runs when I turn on my computer. How can I do that?

Boot in safe mode -- this should prevent any startup applications from running. From there, you can remove the batch file then reboot into normal mode.

• Me2

"Boot in safe mode"  That's what I said — a day earlier.

• Lv 7

put the hard drive in a different computer.

• Me2

Either (1) start the computer in Safe mode; or (2) boot to the Recovery Environment; or (3) start the computer in "Safe mode with command prompt".

The first two options allow the use of Explorer to navigate to the account's Startup folder and move the batch file.  The last option requires using the command-line functions to access the Startup directory and move the file.

As the needed utilities are already present in the Windows installation, transferring the hard disk to another computer is obviously unnecessary.

Start

All Programs

Scroll to the startup folder

Right click it, and select open

Delete the file in question

• Fred

CCleaner/Tools/Startup will allow you to do what you want.

Another fine tool is WinPatrol. This will do so many things that you will wonder how you did without it. It will alert you if your startup files have changed. You can delete the changed file or disable it. This just removes the file from startup and does not delete the file.

• Munir6 months agoReport

Thanks for the answer. But is there a way to delete the file before the computer boots up and without downloading a special tool?