is it better to buy or rent a culligan water softener?

• Mike

Buying is almost always better, After about 3 - 4 years the amount of rent you paid would have paid for a complete unit, and then you would own it, If you rent a unit, you will end up paying a lot more than it is worth.

• ron h

If the rental is mo-to-mo, I'd do that for 2 or 3 mo and decide if you see benefit and buy it if you like it.

unless you live somewhere with well water, neither. the cost isn't worth the outcome.

buy it and the thing still requires service. who will do that and at what cost? that has to be included in the calculation.

usually, renting is a bad financial decision ... the implied interest rate is as bad as charge cards

Source(s): grampa

Buying is almost always better for things you will use on a long-term basis.

Since I don't know how much each option costs, or anything else that's relevant to deciding which to choose, I can't comment on your particular case.