Kat asked in SportsRunning · 1 year ago

How long should it take someone to run/jog 5k?

Im trying to get fitter and wondering how long it should take a 19 year old female, to do a 5k on average?

There's no right time that's good enough. Getting out there and running or jogging the entire distance is winning, regardless of your time. So good on you, right?

Since you're young and don't mention being substantially overweight or out of shape, let's say you average around a 12-minute mile. (11:44 is reported as an average for women 20-24 at one site, but I sure like round numbers.) 3.1 miles times 12 minutes is 37.2 minutes. If your time is anywhere near that, you're doing great.

But say you are not in great cardiovascular shape and you can't go that fast--which is okay, really it is-and you do 14-minute miles. Then you're talking just under 43 and a half minutes. Not very different, really.

It's all good.

A strong fit runner friend of mine could run a 5k in 16 minutes. He is that fast and that good. Since you are just beginning, chances are you won't be on that level. You need to work your way up and get stronger. For now, I would expect you to do a 5k in about 40-45 minutes. I am assuming you will be stopping and walking. Within time and you practice enough your time will be down to doing a 5k quicker/faster.

• .

It varies. If you are not fit at all but not injured or suffering from any specific issue, you should be able to do it in 45 mins or less. I participate in MANY of them in my area and the fastest runners can often do it in the 16-17 min range (less than 18 mins). Many are able to finish under 30 mins.

You can be fit and not be fast, so it really doesn't matter how long it takes you to do it. Just getting out there is a good thing. If you enjoy running, the more you work at it, the better you'll become. Some do better (have a better race time) if they run/walk than if they run the entire distance.

Source(s): Slow Runner