Daniel asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 5 months ago

Is running 4 miles in a hour slow? Keep in mind that I weight about 300 pounds.?

• David

That is really just a fast walk.

No, it's perfect

Keep going

Do not listen to anyone

(Personal Trainer)

At your weight you shouldn't be running. Its great you want to exercise but it would be wise to choose something easier on the body. Swimming is fantastic. Walking, biking and elliptical are also good options.

• kelvin

no it isn't and be happy your exercising

Very slow. 4 mph is in fact the typical rate for walking. 20 + mph is a good sustainable running speed.

• oldprof

No but the 4 min mile is. In any case, I did not mean running four miles at 20+. But it is the kind of speed one would find in sprints and therefore sustainable over 100 meters.

• joe

For most people 2 to 4 mph will be a walking speed; 4 to 5 mph will be a very fast walk or jog; and anything over 5 mph will be jogging or running

Best wishes

• Chris

You shouldn't be running at 300 Lbs. Walking or light jogging is a better option until you lose weight.

• Daniel5 months agoReport

I’m only 17 and I played foot ball for 3 years in high school. I think my body can handle running.

• Jen

Considering your weight, no, not slow. Thats like at a brisk walk pace for me, about 4.0 MPH on my treadmill. I know my husband couldnt do a 4 mile run when he was 300 pounds so the fact youre even doing that is awesome.

Covering 4 miles in an hour does not count as "running".

• JoKyoNim

a walking speed. since 3 miles an hour is a regular/leisure walk.
      4 miles is a faster walk speed.
      I doubt you can run or jog.

Doesn't sound slow considering weight.