amcg
amcg asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Hello Dutch speakers. In English, you can say for example : "I have already watched (and not I already watched) the movie. It's exciting"?

In Dutch have you to say: " Ik heb de film gezien. Die is spannend" or "Ik zag de film. Die is spannend" ? or are both correct ?

Maybe the rules are less exacting than the English ones.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I forgot the word "al"

• Zirp

"Ik heb de film al gezien. Hij is spannend/Het is een spannende." would be the proper way.

It's not about rules being exacting, it's about being zorgvuldig (English doesn't have a word for it, but it has two for extremely zorgvuldig: meticulous and painstaking )

This is one of the principal differences between American and British English.

In American English they tend to use 'I already watched' more than 'I have already watched', but in British English we ONLY say 'I have already watched the movie'.

But note, in British English we might say 'the film' instead of 'the movie'.