Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 5 months ago

Why didn’t my boss tell me?

They had a meeting this week and after the owner of the company came to me and said that my boss mentioned my name positively. Another supervisor also emailed me to say that my name was brought up with ‘praise’. I’m curious now what they were saying? Also, why would my boss mention this in the meeting? Isn’t it better to tell me to my face...?

Obviously your boss sees something he likes in you.

Just be content with that for the time being.

He knew you would get a swelled head and be pestering poor folk on ya. He probably called you a charming brown noser.

Why didn't your boss praise you to your face??? What is wrong with you???

They were possibly discussing advancement opportunities and your name came up. With your reaction though, you definitely do not deserve advancement.

Subordinates are mentioned in meetings of supervisors...behind their backs and everything...crazy right?

No, they don't have to say anything to you. This isn't a friendship ring, it's a workplace. You can ask if a comment can be put into your personal file, but otherwise, it's not anything you need to respond to.

"I’m curious now what they were saying?" It's none of your business (unless they choose to tell you).

"why would my boss mention this in the meeting?" It's very, very common for senior staff to discuss the work, skills and personalities of their subordinates.

"Isn’t it better to tell me to my face...?" If your boss has something to tell you, he/she will tell you.

Ten bucks says your question is fake. No manager is going to make a point of emailing a colleague's subordinate to let them know that his/her direct supervisor was talking about them in a management meeting.