Why do people who get promoted over you retain their status above you AFTER you both move on to future assignments?

When I was a teenager the people who made supervisor became bank tellers and things afterwards where I could only work at restaurants. Later at a call center those who got promoted became higher paid corporate trainers and business analysts while I could only be in the call center again. Since winners and losers... show more When I was a teenager the people who made supervisor became bank tellers and things afterwards where I could only work at restaurants.
Later at a call center those who got promoted became higher paid corporate trainers and business analysts while I could only be in the call center again.
Since winners and losers are chosen why do the lucky ones get to retain and capitalize on being lucky while others are stuck in a dead end?