So I have this friend who is 17 years old and she is dating someone who is 20 years old, is that illegal in the United States?

It depends on the state.. Different states have different state laws..

• Nuff Sed

Name one state where teenage "dating" is illegal, based upon the ages of the participants.

It depends on the state. But age of consent is 16 in most states and even below the age of consent some states have Romeo and Juliet laws when the two are close in age.

You are asssss singlesee as a pringleee ammm I righttttty

I bet that friend is you lol

• Clive

What is the "so" for? Just ask the question.

There is no law on dating because what IS it? Going out for a meal together could be a date. In which case I have dated my mother - ah, but the reason we ate together was different, and who is to say what they're thinking of? Just friends could eat together. See the problem? You can't make a law banning something unless you can clearly define it.

So the law only has anything to say about sex. Having sex is clearly definable - it happened or it didn't. In most states the age of consent is 16 or 17, so they could legally have sex as they're both old enough. A few states set the age at 18, but even then it might be legal at 17 if there is a so-called "Romeo and Juliet" law that allows sex a little younger if they aren't too far apart in age. (Romeo and Juliet were young lovers so their names are used to describe it.)

• BBG

Satan clearly doesn't understand the proper use of the word "so". Using it as a conjunction is correct. That being said, using a conjunction to begin a new paragraph is a bit odd.

In most states no. In some crazy places like CA yes.

A 3 year difference is nothing. If this was 18 and 21, I bet nobody would blink an eye, except me of course because if alcohol was involved that would cause a lot of problems, but with 17 and 20 it wouldn't be.

Just "dating" is never illegal. The age of consent for having sex is determined by state law.

There are ZERO age restrictions on engaging someone socially (dating).

Age restrictions apply to sexual activity.

ETA: "So a grown man taking a 4 year old girl out to dinner romantically isn't illegal?" Yes it's legal for a grown man to take a four year old girl out to dinner. "Romantic" is subjective and is not legislated. You don't want dads, uncles and grandpas across the USA thrown in jail because they took their niece, granddaughter or daughter to a restaurant with candles on the tables, do you? Age restrictions apply to sexual behavior, not "romance".

• Satan5 months agoReport

So a grown man taking a 4 year old girl out to dinner romantically isn't illegal?

Nah.............

• wowser

I am happy you have a friend