Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 5 months ago

Do u believe that everybody no matter how good or bad their math skills are can actually understand math?

We've all heard the saying before, "i'm not a math person". I personally believe that anyone can know math if they would've dedicated more time and effort. And this is not to say that the people who say that are too lazy to even learn the subject. Back then in elementary school, i didn't know as much math. But, after high school i started to get better and now i know way more math today than i ever did when i was in school. Now i know y=mx+b, y2-y1/x2-x1, polynomials, slopes, volumes and areas of shapes, Pythagorean theorem, quadratic equations, Pythagorean triples, quadratic formula and etc. Thing is, we all know how hard math is to a lot of people. And it may take a while for the vast majority of those people. But, with the right mindset and more time and effort, i believe anybody no matter how good or bad their math skills are can actually understand it better. Do u agree or disagree?

• Anyone with good logical thinking can understand math if he or she learns the rules, because it is essentially based on logic. Furthermore, there are different branches of math: arithmetic, geometry, algebra, calculus, linear algebra, etc. All of them are interconnected and stem from basic notions. So how well you understand more advanced math depends on how well you mastered basics, it is like building a house from bricks, there shouldn't be any gaps in the walls and the base should be strong.

It depends how much math. Most people get the concept of numbers and shapes. Few can do quaternions.

Strongly disagree. Not everyone is the same. How can everyone in the world be able to understand mathematics when there are many people with mental disabilities? Don't even talk about understanding mathematics, they cannot even be able to write an essay. And this is why there are still lots of people who are illiterate. They cannot read nor write. So how in the world can they understand the depths of mathematics? Also, even though math skills can be improved over time by practicing and practicing without stopping, there will still be some people who just cannot understand the concepts of mathematics. Mathematics is a boring subject for most students. Because before they even do the problems, their heads get hurt, they think mathematics is hard. Mathematics itself hurts their brains. So it's not really that mathematics is hard, the real issue is the way our students think. And becoming good on mathematics also depends on the teacher who teaches you. If you have a good math teacher, then becoming great at mathematics should be easier. If not, then you should go to tutoring if your school offers after school tutoring programs. Or you can ask your parents to help you find a private tutor outside of your school. It doesn't cost that much money. And you can get professional training/help on the topics you don't understand. Since the tutors get paid in cash, they're more willing to teach you with patience. Remember, it's all about the money nowadays.

• TomV

As soon as you say "everybody" without qualification, the answer automatically becomes "No".

There are people down at the far end of the population distribution who really can't much understand beyond addition but most people can understand basic algebra and geometry if they are given the proper teaching and they actually want to learn. The very argument from Julien that is isn't about mindset but instead is about fun is a self-contradiction.

We all have things we suck at, and even the things we most suck at, almost all of us can get to a basic functional level. Don't expect us to be stars in it though.

Good or bad in math skill is the result of understanding it. Unless one has some learning disability, the better you understand numbers and how to work problems, usually the better you are in math skills.

• ?

I AGREE. Some people may have better math aptitude, but that's not to say that others cannot learn math. It simply takes a willing student and a good, patient teacher.

I disagree. For sure we all can get better at it but not everyone can withstand it. This goes for people with mental health illnesses. I grew up with ADHD growing up and it really messed me up at school. Putting everything aside, if the symptoms of an illness interfere enough, I don't think they will ever equal to everyone else. You can say whatever you want but I strongly believe that not everyone can understand maths.

• Dixon

Well, with more time and effort anyone will get better at anything but the question is, by how much and it is worth the effort? For a brief period I was training to be a mathematics teacher and I was utterly shocked by how incapable some people are. It can be down to attitude but for some, even when they are generally good students, they just don't really get it. It's like trying to get a cat or dog to understand complex language. They just don't have the machinery to do it.

• Julien

I don't think being good at maths is about "the right mindset and more time and effort", it's about having fun: maths is first and foremost a game, an abstract human creation which -like puzzles and riddles- has no direct application. You could put forward a large number of reasons to try to explain why this person loves maths and this other person doesn't, but anyway it looks obvious to me that those who succeed in maths are simply those who enjoy the game.

• husoski

Thumbs up for the fun, but don't you think that the fun aspect mostly motivates someone to spend the time needed to become good? I've seen people with BS degrees in math that seem to have very much fun. I don't want to be one of them, but they exist.