Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Why is the American so limited in perspective? Is this why all the important jobs around the world go to Indians and not Americans?

Not long ago I posted a question about why Americans learn Spanish instead of German, when Germany is the fourth largest economy of the world.

Many told me that it is in order to communicate with the illegal immigrants who come from Mexico.

Others told me that it is because Latin America is closer than Europe.

None of these people, even if educated in Engineering, Chemistry or any other technology career, ever thought that speaking German might open the door to working IN Germany in the future.

For example, you learn German and are an Engineer. After a few years your company closes and you are out of job. With your knowledge of German and your experience, you could easily look for a job in Germany. But no, the typical American preffers to remain unemployed.

Ever wondered why all the IT and technology jobs around the world are always taken by Indians, Chinese, etc but never Americans?

• John

Almost 60 million Americans are of Hispanic descent, the largest single minority. Note that I said "Americans". I live in San Francisco, obviously a Spanish name. Hispanic culture is permanently embedded into western American culture. People have told you wrong.

You are forgetting that because the USA is such a huge country, far fewer Americans NEED to look for work abroad than Europeans. Inside the USA there is no doubt that, after English, Spanish is by far the most useful second language.

It is certainly not "all" the important jobs, but the reason is not language, it is money. Indians ask for less money, so they get the jobs that can be farmed out.

• SBR32277

in poverty in California. The $75,000 is relative to the economy you live in. In some areas it super pay, in others, you can't afford a living.

• ?

Because Germany is just one country, and there's not a lot of people who are specifically interested in working there, and there's not a lot of places outside of Germany where German is the preferred language is communication. Why cant you just accept that your language isnt popular?

lol. Where is your blue face from?

Sorry, but your logic is flawed. Why would they want to learn something that isn't practical and useful to them?!? They have way more Spanish-speaking people (and Chinese-speaking people, and Vietnamese-speaking people, and Arabic-speaking people, and French-speaking people, etc, etc.) in their country (and next door to their country) than German-speaking people. I'm not saying German is not a cool language, but it's useless to most Americans.

Am an American engineer. I speak Spanish from childhood, living half of that in South America. I have two years of college German courses. I have not needed to travel overseas to get a job--plenty of them in USA. Never had to use German in my jobs, but I have found Spanish to be useful in my life in Southern California.

I believe the pay scales in other countries are not as high as the ones in USA. The reason Indians and Chinese take those jobs in Germany is because they are willing to work for those pay levels.

So your ideas have no weight with me.

Angela Merkel told me Americans aren’t welcome in Germany unless they are Muslims.

Seriously though I studied German in high school and found it much easier to learn for an aenglish speaker than French and Spanish

The sentence structure is different but the words have a hard sound at the beginning and end and and are distinct unlike French.

It is also free of the nonsense of assigning a sex to inanimate objects.

You don’t have to remember that a door is feminine and a car is masculine.

Germans are good people and i would like to travel there sometime.

• M.

Die Ananas.
      The pineapple. (feminine)

Russians are using a lot of Nigerians for tech work. Many speak Russian.

• Lisa A

Indians don't speak German. They barely speak English..