Anonymous

Should I leave all my work history on my resume?

I’m looking for a new job in an office setting. My resume basically looks like this without going into detail:

2012-2016 smoothie shop. (My first job ever)

2016-2018 law office (two different positions)

2018-present law office

I was a manager there for 2 years and it taught me customer service and cash handling and leader ship. However, it makes my resume over one page, and I try to keep it as limited as possible. Should I leave the smoothie shop, or take it off since it doesn’t really apply to an office job?

• B

be very brief about the earliest jobs and more complete about the last job which taught you some things

Depends on how old you are. If you are & it looks like you didn't work till 3 years ago I would leave the 4 year smoothie job on there. You don't want to look like you never worked till you were 27.

keep it on. it shows that when you graduated from high school you had a job.

plus it's ok to have a 2 page resume. that's what I learned in my high school marketing class.

• Judy

Leave the smoothie shop on but keep it to about 2 lines, Edit other areas if needed to fit on one page.

Leave the job there, but put less information about each job, so that your resume fits on one page.

• D J

It you are trying to secure employment with a government agency you need to list all jobs. You can always delete some items for specific jobs.

• Eva

Leave it since you were there for quite a while. You don't need to go into a lot of detail describing what you did there. Don't get real wordy with the descriptions of what you did at your other jobs as it may be repetitive. Emphasize the skills you used at those jobs that apply to the job you're applying for. Use a slightly smaller font if that helps, but don't go smaller than 10, or make your margins slightly narrower.

Since its only 3 jobs I'd leave it on for now. Padding if nothing else.

Leave it on!

A young person who has a job for four years puts you heads and tails over everyone else. The fact that you and your employer were "ok" with one another for four years is pretty rare for a first job. And never underestimate the importance of understanding basic customer service.

I hire veterinarians who have eight years of university. They are super smart and highly educated. But the ones who haven't worked or who job-hop couple months here, few months there...totally inferior employees compared to someone who has a job for four years.

It's the 2018 to present that would be a drawback for me. You had a law office job for two years and left - presumably for a better opportunity. And after a few months you're looking again. I'd want to know why.

i would leave all that in there