Community college is stealing my state tax returns when I don’t owe them money. What can I do?

So years ago I took some classes at a community college (while I was a minor). Some time afterwards my parents had to file for bankruptcy and so my debts to the school were thrown out. The trouble is, the community college in question has continued to steal my state tax returns every applicable year since. I’ve sent them copies of the documents proving I didn’t and don’t owe them anything due to the bankruptcy via certified mail, but I never hear back from them. Is there anything I can do to force them to return the money they’ve stolen?

Contact the state that is turning the money over when they shouldn't be.

Only if your school debts were listed on the Bankruptcy filling. IF they weren't you need to see a lawyer about it and the fact is.. THE IRS DOES NOT GARNISH WITHOUT A COURT ORDER... SO looks like it has been to court and you lost.. NOW stop trolling..

• RICK

IRS has nothing to do with state tax returns

Your tax returns cannot be garnished without you first being notified by the IRS, in which case, the bankruptcy documents would have been very useful from the get go. However, your parents filed bankruptcy, NOT YOU. You are the one who received an education, not your parents.

Contact the IRS, not the College. Explain to the IRS the situation and then resolve it. If you do owe for your education, then pay up and stop whining about it, you are not entitled to a free education no more than I am.

• RICK

Student loans do not get dismisssd in bankruptcy

You can find out what is ACTUALLY happening, because a community college CAN'T seize tax returns, even WITH a court order.

That said, student loans ARE NOT discharged in bankruptcy and YOUR debts of any kind are not discharged in your parent's bankruptcy.

What is sounds like is the state is seizing your returns to pay student loans. The school was paid WHILE you were attending, and has NOTHING to do with the collections.

• jackie5 months agoReport

Yea they can. I use to work in Tax Refunds and for schools specifically working with the state collection department we took tax refunds and forwarded it to the school

Sure, take them to small claims court but first be darn sure you really have a case.

• STEVEN F

Small claims court CANNOT hear this type of case in ANY state.

What you can do is get a lawyer.

I am guessing that you never disavowed the contract during your minority and further that you did not go through bankruptcy with your parents. If both of my guesses are correct, there is nothing to be done.

The STATE is taking the money and then passing it to the community college.

You need to contact your state's tax revenue department to handle this.

Bankruptcy doesn’t eliminate student debts. You still have to pay student loans.