becca asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Recently adopted our 6 month old kitten s mother?

My boyfriend and I recently adopted a kitten. He was 4 1/2 months old when we got him back in April. We noticed that his mother had not been adopted so we decided to adopt his mother. She is hissing at him and when he gets close she swats and hisses making him run away and uncomfortable. We adopted her just yesterday so I know it will take some time for her to remember him but does anyone have any tips on how to help this process? We don t want the kitten we adopted in april to feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed in his own house and we don t want his mother to be afraid of living with us.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • J C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You need to take the newcomer, and put her in her own room with food and litter, and shut the door. They need to be introduced gradually, or they may hate each other forever. Look up "proper cat integration". To you, they are mother and child, to them, they are two cats who do not know each other. Good for you for adopting the second cat - but you need to introduce them properly and accept that they do not remember each other, and have no special bond.

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Animals may remember other pets they have been around but to not realize they are their offspring. Also, if your kitten has not been neutered, or his mother spayed, he may be trying to mate with her.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

She will never remember him he is just a strange cat that she does not like, and i hope they are both neutered! have one rehomed or you will have 2 unhappy cats.

• 6 months ago

I agree with Laura. When my cat had her kittens she was a very loving and good mother but a little while after they was weaned from her she became grouchy towards them treating them just like your mother cat is doing to her kitten. I still have my mother cat and her now 2 adult kids to this day, she is now 12 years old and her 2 adult kids will be 11 in July, and she still dislikes either of her adult kids near her but to be fair they arent very nice to their mother. They bully her often, which I put a stop to when I am home. So I dont blame her for hating them. She is a gentle, kind, and loving soul who just wants to be left alone by them. But that doesnt mean that your mother cat and her kitten's relationship wont change and they get along in the future. But it wont be a mother son loving relationship, it will likely be more like a roommate friendship. Give Laura's idea a try and see how it goes. Its quite likely they do not even realize they are related anymore.

Source(s): It was very kind of u to take her kitten in then his mother too, I hope things work out and they get along good soon :)
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Laura
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Cats do not have families like we do.

She will not remember that this is her child. Once the kittens are weaned mom will chase them off so she can go and get pregnant again.

You need to separate her and keep her in her own room for at least a week. She needs her own space to claim, and she needs to get used to the routine of the house.

This will also make it easier to introduce her to the kitten you already have Think of it as a completely different cat that she has never met, because thats how it is to her.

Remember that it can take months for a new cat to get settled into a new house, so be patient and give them time.

edit:

Keep her separated for at least a week. She needs to learn the routine of the house, and you need to do scent swapping. This cannot happen if you bring her back and forth. This also really confuses both of the cats, she will have no idea what her place in the family is and it can cause even more fighting.

• Laura
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Keep her apart for at least 7 days. She needs to get used to the house before she gets used to the people and things inside it. This also allows you to do scent swapping and feed your kitten near the door that separates them. In short keep them apart for longer than you think you need to.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.