Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 5 months ago

I have 2 day old new born kittens. They’ve got fleas. I know this can be deadly to kittens, how do I safely get them off?

• J C

Call the vet and get a flea treatment for mom that is safe for nursing cats. You need to pick the fleas off the kittens, and change the bedding - daily. Wash it in the hottest water you have with some bleach to kill the fleas in it. You need to vaccum around their bed area a couple times a day. Bathing Mom in Dawn won't do a thing but drown the life fleas. You need a product - from the vet - or you will loose all the kittens due to flea bite anemia. First you allow the female to get pregnant, and then you neglected to properly worm and flea treat her prior to the birth of the kittens. What a shame :(

• Thank you. And we didn’t allow her to get pregnant, she was already pregnant when we rescued her. We found out at the spay appointment, and decided to keep them because we don’t believe in abortion

• Ocimom

The only thing you can do is use a flea comb. Use Capstar on mom cat and wash her with Dawn dish soap. Hopefully the kittens will live. If they have too many fleas on them, they may end up dying.

• Eva

Flea comb. You can't wash them at this age as they'll have trouble maintaining their body temp. In a week you can wash them with Dawn, but make sure to towel them dry. They will chill if they're wet. They are getting fleas from Mama. You can wash her with Dawn now, but don't use flea shampoo on her as the kittens would get in contact with it when they nurse.

• Laura

Use a flea comb. Anything else will hurt the kittens.

While you are at the vet with them, bring momma cat too. She is the one who has fleas and spread them to her kittens. She needs to be treated too, and she also needs to have her spay surgery scheduled. All of this can be done at the vet when you bring the kittens.

I don't own a cat so I wouldent know

• Verity

Please---take them to your vet!

• I’m going to later today, i just want to get them off in the mean time before it gets too bad