Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Best decision to make, puppy or debts?

I will be getting a smallish amount in my account. We have been wanting a puppy for a long time. This breed is very expensive though. It will take the whole amount almost. I never get this chance to actually get this amount so I can use it for what we actually want instead of what's always there, bills, debts etc. I want people's advice on if this is ok. To use it to get the puppy we really want as I won't get this chance again, or should it be used for the debts and bills, which means it's gone the moment it comes in and nothing to show for it.

• O Man

A smart person pays off their debts before buying any luxuries, a dog is a LUXURY. Dogs also cost a LOT of money to keep happpy and healthy, so if you are already in debt, you cannot afford a dog, end of story.

• Ocimom

Pay your debt and bills. Then start saving money for a dog you want.

• Maxi

You can't afford a pup.......... bills and any debts always need paying, they are priority, any pup will need medical treatment and you need to put aside money for that too..pay your bills

Get your debts caught up. You wont ever get ahead in life if you constantly have debt following you. If you are constantly struggling, then maybe you need to consider cutting back some expenses... Or get a second job.

Doesnt sound like you are in a position to afford the care of a dog. A dog costs $50-100 a month at minimum to upkeep. If you want a certain breed, set that much aside each month to save for it. If you cant afford to save up, you cant afford the care.

And a dog doesnt necessarily have to be expensive either. Keep looking. I aquired a purebred show dog who already has some points on him and only paid $250... And yes, Ill be able to show him. Anywhere else Id be looking at $2500-3000+ for such a dog.

• Stella

As the others have said putting off the second dog is the best choice.

I would only add that you're thinking about this the wrong way.

Paying off your debts doesn't leave you "nothing to show for it".

It leaves you debt free.

Wouldn't that be a lot off your mind?

Then forget the pup because pups cost a lot of upkeep money and your debts will not decrease, rather accumulate and lay then on you also the burden of interest and court costs eventually.... Then where will that leave the poor dog.

Source(s): Common logic

Keep most of your money and get a rescue dog.

Hands down, pay off your outstanding debts first before getting a puppy, and then try to gradually save up for a puppy that you want, but don't really need. Regardless of the initial cost of this breed, ALL puppies and dogs cost money to take proper care of, which will end up to be way more than the initial purchase price, whether it be a $50.00 dog or a $3,000.00 dog. Vet care isn't cheap. Good dog food isn't cheap. Puppy/dog supplies aren't cheap. And to top things off, if a Vet emergency arises, that for sure isn't cheap. In fact, some surgeries that people don't think about can run into the thousands of dollars, and don't ever think that an emergency can never happen to you/your puppy or dog. It can. Trust me. Oh, and I forgot to mention that if this a breed that needs professional grooming, that isn't cheap either. Clear your debts first. Everyone has bills to pay on a regular basis even if they own their own home free and clear of a mortgage. If you have credit card debt, start there, as that is usually what gets people into huge debt to begin with.

• ?

The costs of owning a dog don't end with the initial purchase. You've got to get its shots, you've got to feed it, take it to the vet, make sure it has a place to sleep and toys to play with. If you can just barely afford to buy the puppy, you don't really have enough to look after it. Cover your bills and wait until your financial situation is more stable and more conducive to caring for a pet.

NO NOT THE PUPPY.

Most breeds that are expensive to buy cost way more than that in health issues and veterinary fees so if this is not an amount you can afford on a regular basis then don't get a puppy.

Also, if you have debts then they should always be cleared before anything else.