Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 5 months ago

Why do hamsters like swimming in the sink so much?

Hm, I'm not sure. If you were suddenly thrown into the middle of the ocean, what would you do? That's right, you'd swim so that you didn't drown. A hamster won't voluntarily walk over to a sink and decide "oh wow, it's a nice day for a swim in the sink!" It's pretty much a natural reflex for them to swim like all animals have.

Water isn't good for hamsters though and it will strip away their natural oils. You stress them out and their immune system is weakened, which leads to one thing after another and if your hamster goes "swimming," you may have wet tail on your hands and soon a very dead hamster.

they don’t. hamsters aren’t supposed to get wet.

• patty

to clean themself

They don't, period. Like all rodents, they have a natural ability to swim, but they can tire quickly and drown.

Besides that, all too often they develop respiratory problems as result and chills can kill them.

Hamster use a sand bath to keep themselves clean, look into that.

Only rodent I know that didn't mind swimming was my mouse Yogi, hand raised and after feeding needed bathing. I would sometimes let him swim briefly, then comes the drying well with paper towels and back into his heated nursery.

They are quite closely related to whales.

Because they don’t have access to a miniature pool, or a pond, lake, creek etc. it’s exercise and fun to do. Why do they love running in tubes, balls and on those wheels. It’s a rodents view of fun.

better then drowning

Because they’re rodents and that’s what they do