What causes the 'meow' sound of a jet flying overhead?

I live about 20km from an airport. Usually when jets pass, I hear the familiar rumble of their engines. Every now and then, presumably as they come in for landing, the sound suddenly appears as a long, hollow, meooooow sound that drops in pitch. I know it is probably the Doppler effect, but was wondering if landing gear or flaps being deployed are also responsible ...

It is quite an eerie sound because there is no build up. It starts suddenly ... more like a sort of KLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW out of the blue.

• ?

Nah, its just the engine note and the doppler effect.

It may surprise you but the truth is there are some cats on board most planes. This is to prevent bird strike as birds are less likely to strike a plane carrying a cat or two. As the plane slows for landing one cat usually cries out to the other and that sound going through the sound barrier is really loud. I hope this helps.

• JetDoc

Do some research on the Doppler effect.

• Vaman

I think it is due tyres screeching on the asphalt. Similar sound comes when we apply break suddenly on a car.

I've never really heard that sound before