Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 6 months ago

It is bad to graduate high school at age 20?

I'm a freshman in high school. I got held back in first grade and in fifth grade. By senior year, I will be 20. Is it embarrassing?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • donnie
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

I suppose there is nothing you can really do about it now. Maybe talk with the consoler and see if there is a way you could graduate early. It is better then being passed by a low D and knowing nothing. Or being stuck in SPED classes your entire High School life. That has happened to some people.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I'd be more concerned about WHY you got held back twice. Especially if you plan on going to college. College admissions directors and staff WILL TAKE notice of you being so far behind your peers, and they WILL ask you about why that's the case. And you'd better have a good answer, or you'll be denied admission, period.

Being held back, especially for more than one year, has a stigma attached to it. It says a lot of things about you, most of which aren't good. I'm not unsympathetic- I got held back a year myself, in second grade, and the experience haunted me for the rest of my school years. I was even asked about it repeatedly in college, as you will probably be. It's not a pleasant experience.

• edward
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you lived in Canada you’d be the most popular 10th grader around when you’re buying alcohol for everyone.

• edward
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Yes, if he’ll be 20 when he graduates he’ll be 18 in grade 10

• 6 months ago

I think it would be. I’m going to be a senior in the fall and I was actually supposed to graduate high school in 2019 but I chose to repeat 9th grade. I’ll be 19 years old when I graduate high school next year. I actually don’t feel like it’s the end of the world to be a year older than everyone in my class. But to be completely honest, I would feel extremely self conscious if I was going to be 20 years old by the time I graduated, especially if I was going to high school and all the juniors and seniors would freeze me out for being a freshman even though I was supposed to be an upperclassman due to the fact that I should have been in 11 grade but I’m still stuck in 9 grade. I’d also be very frustrated my junior year because I’d be a year older than all the seniors but all the seniors would act like they’re better than me because I’m still a junior even though I was supposed to graduate a year before all them fools. Luckily that’s a you problem and not for me to worry about :)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

You got held back when you were in first and fifth grade? Lol, I'd definitely be embarrassed if I were you.

• Stoo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It is what it is. Why worry about what you cannot possibly control at this point? Who cares what happened in the past - are you ready for the future?

• 6 months ago

No it isn’t anything to be embarrassed about

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

it's still better than not graduating at all or even earning a GED. age is only a number. just continue what you have been to graduate, then worry about the next steps then.

though, it's never too early to start planning now too. do you want to go to college? plenty of people don't go when they're 17 or 18. plenty of people work before college to save money. some don't go to college at all and just enter the work force. talk with your family, and a counselor or adviser at high school. they can help plan, guide, and prepare you for life after high school. whether it's college, maybe community college, trade school, military (they have plenty of "civilian" jobs besides infantry), or just start working entry level jobs like inside sales, maybe logistics, customer service, administrative assistant, business development, or other similar office jobs.

see if you can even get internships while in high school too. that will go a long way to getting a good job with the experience you can put on your resume than just a random part time job to earn fast cash. again, talk to a counselor or adviser for help.

• 6 months ago

Never be ashamed of accomplishments.

I have seen people not get their high school diploma until age 30

Be proud you never gave up.

• pucman1961
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Tucker where did i say they finished getting their diploma in high school .

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I never graduated high school, but I have a AA college diploma

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.