Want to be happy with others? Have compassion. Want to be happy with yourself? Have compassion. Thoughts?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

I try not to be those people I do not like. I try to be what I want others to be. And I am tolerant toward those who exhibit my own bad behaviour. I can hardly criticize without changing my own behaviour. Of course all of this does lead to a change in my behaviour. We should strive to be the world we want to be in. Or consistent with ourselves. To be aware of our contradictions and at least find a way for the contradiction to be part of the consistency of our rules.

• 6 months ago

I find it ironic that you've chosen as the best response one that doesn't answer the question. You speak of compassion and it's relevance to happiness. In my life I have found that compassion diminishes happiness. Unfortunately the world is filled with injustice, pain, sorrow, and "..the heartache and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir too.." How can you be truly happy when you see this every day? I have another thought for you. When you can feel another's sorrow or, through compassion, empathize with what he feels, you live experiencing more than just your own existence. Oscar Wilde said it best, "...for they who live more lives than one more deaths than one must die."

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It's not bad advice. It's better advice that most advice...

• Simplistic. Too much compassion - survivors guilt, lack of introspection, vulnerable to exploitation. It's an ingredient, but not a complete element.

• Anonymous6 months agoReport

Houston, the keys to happiness are simple not simplistic. Don’t make it complicated.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

https://self-compassion.org/wp-content/uploads/pub... has some thoughts.

"The Kindness Challenge" is helpful too.

• A C
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

True. It's more blessed to give than to receive.

Source(s): The New Testament (recommended reading)
  • martin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Compassion leads to forgiveness which in turn dissolves bitterness. Compassion is a good thing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.