Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Why isn't the "Y" considered a vowel?

• Jim

Who is to consider? When you ask about "consider," you are asking about opinion. There is no authority in the US or UK to regulate English. France has Académie française, and Spain has Real Academia Española, but there is nothing like that for English.

Vowels are sounds. The way they are written in a language is another matter.

I know you were taught that Pluto is a planet and also that the vowels are a, e, i, o, u and sometimes y, but that is not true.

Depending on the dialect, English has about 14 vowels and they are written in a variety of ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_phonology

Many letters are used in English to represent these sounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography

As you can see, w, h, y, and l are combined with other letters to represent English vowel SOUNDS. The last word is redundant, but I add it for emphasis.

There are systems to write English phonetically, but they are cumbersome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonet...

• Joseph

Sometimes it is, as in 'monkey'.

It varies by language and the way it sounds in the word.

• Don Verto

The Dutch substitute IJ for Y and it is always a vowel

It is considered a vowel, phonetically at least. Phonologically only sometimes and the reason is: a phonological vowel is at the center or peak of a syllable but Y is only sometimes in this positon.

It depends the countries. In France Y is a vowel and too, a half vowel. Like when we say the word ' yeux ' for example, which means eyes in English .....

Sometimes Y doesn't want to play along. It suffers from Irritable Vowel Syndrome.

• bluebellbkk

I like that; I'll pass it off as my own, next time I'm talking linguistics with friends.

• Mike W

In English Y acts as a vowel at the end of a word or syllable. Maybe they don't consider it to be a vowel, because it also acts as a consonant. One thing to consider is that Y wasn't always a letter in the English alphabet. It wasn't used in Old English, and only started to be used in Middle English.

• Rod5 months agoReport

It comes from Greek: the French call it i-greque, the Spanish, i-griega

• Lôn

It IS in Welsh.

Welsh has more vowels than English.

A, E, I, O ,U, W, Y.

• Lôn

Or Llwyd (grey) or Llwyth (load), or Llwyn (grove) .

It is. Vowels: a, e, i, o, u -- and sometimes y.

It gets used much less as a vowel then a consonant.

• Zac Z

Also in the ubiquitous preposition "by".