Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesJeep · 6 months ago

Is the new JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited good for road trips?

My family and I are renting one for a trip from Fort Lauderdale to the Florida Keys. Just wanted to make sure that this decision won’t come back to bit me in the ***.

• John

I just bought a new Jeep Wrangler but I think it is a CJ. It is Trail Rated and has a bumpier ride than my F-150 XLT. My Ford truck got stuck in the snow twice last winter so I traded it in. The CJ will seat two adults and two munchkins. It has 287 HP and is a soft top. The top comes down and the doors come off so it is a Jeep in the purest sense of the word. I do not recommend the CJ for road trips. My new Jeep Wrangler is painted Ocean Blue and being an old Guided Missile Destroyer Sailor, it looks cool to me.

I drove my Wrangler from NJ to Iowa to Boston back to NJ, then from NJ to Ft. Lauderdale. No problems, capable on any road surface; but, a car is more comfortable (read:smooth).

• JetDoc

The Wrangler is NOT a really good road trip car... Unless the "road" you plan on tripping on is an unimproved dirt trail. The wife and I drove all the way down the East Coast from Delaware to Key West a few years ago. There are no dirt trails, so no need to have a back country 4x4.

• matthew6 months agoReport

I thought it would be a good idea since a regular convertible would be to small for us, and we would be able to put the top down on the Jeep while we cruise down interstate 1.

• Pete L

Can't think of a more unsuitable vehicle. Jeeps are 4x4 vehicles designed for off roading.

• g

Sure, Matt, if your family is a fan of road tripping in a harsh riding, noisy, uncomfortable vehicle it is absolutely perfect.

I hope you are tracking or your *** will most definitely be bitten.

• Geo

no, horrible choice.