T asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 5 months ago

2019 World Series of Poker - When to join the tournament?

I'm playing in my first WSOP Main Event this year. Does it make sense to start Day 1 at the beginning of Level 1, or come later in the day? They apparently changed the rules so you don't even need to play on Day 1 at all, & can start on Day 2 with a fresh $60k stack of chips? I've read comments online that the first 2-3 levels are quite dull since the tables often only have 6-7 players, but other comments indicate that this isn't a problem.

• Jeff T

It's better to play on Day 1, as long as you play very tight. You can't win the tournament on day 1, but you can lose it all on the first day. Keep in mind, you'll need to build up a stack to stay competitive at the higher levels.

That sounds crazy to me. I would definitely go directly to day 2. Having three times your starting amount starting the second day is a good amount of chips, probably better than what you would get starting day one. Add to that no risk of being eliminated and to me it’s a no brainer. If that is the new thing that they’re doing I will never play the tournament again. I played it once the year before it moved to the Rio. That was the year Chris Moneymaker won it and was the last year it was at the Binions Horseshoe. Please send a link to me showing the rule change or put it in the comments. I’d like to see it.

• T5 months agoReport

Here's the structure sheet: http://www.wsop.com/pdfs/structuresheets/structure_1622_17298.pdf

And how much will the average stack be after the 5 levels you missed? If you want to buy in and have less than the average, that's up to you. When I play a tournament, I like to play. I would think part of the "value" of buying into the main event is actually playing in the main event, especially the first time... and you are going to give up the first 10 hours of play? Are you worried about being tired to start day 2?

(and you chose Yahoo to ask questions about advice on playing the main event of the WSOP? I wonder if even 2 people who will see this question have ever played the main event before...)