Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 5 months ago

Senior citizens: Do you remember the day Hitler got elected?

Hitler got elected in 1933, and someone born then would be 88.

So for someone to remember it, they would have to be at least 91, but why would a three-year old remember a political election.

So they’d have to be closer to 100 to remember it.

And how many 100 year olds do you know?

I am not a senior citizen myself, but I was intrigued by your question. So, I decided to ask my dad about whether or not my uncle or grandfolks spoke about this.

For context, they all lived through the war in Southern Italy and came to Canada in the 1950’s. Sadly, both of my grandparents are gone now, but my uncle is still alive and he is 94! So, I’d like to say all their experiences combined would be a good answer to this question.

Now for the answer, my great grandfolks were already unhappy with the current political situation with Mussolini. They were from the poorer side of Italy and he hadn’t been doing much to support the South. When Hitler was appointed, it was SORT OF the talk of the town? It was known and spoken about, but my aforementioned family was much too young to really care or understand. It took them until they were older to piece the situation together.

This is aged information though, so I would take it with a grain of salt. Hope I could provide some insight!

No, I'm 76 and don't remember anything about the war, just some of the after effects of it such as rationing of clothes, fabrics, food, sweets etc. and some bombed out buildings had still not been rebuilt.

No, I was not born then

• Flower

He was appointed, not elected and I dont think anyone on here was old enough in 1933 to remember that.

• Ann

He was not elected. He was appointed, and then he took over and declared himself the Chancellor of Germany in 1933. It evolved into his declaring himself the Fuhrer (leader) of The Third Reich. I remember my father telling me about it. He had served in WWI, and he would be 125 if he were still alive today. I was 3 when WWII began for the U.S.

No, I wasn't born yet.

Hitler lost the 1932 presidential election but was appointed Chancellor in 1933. If we presume someone would need to be five years old at the time to remember that, they would now be 86.

• TSK

Have to be VERY old to remember such...

June 21. 2019 - March 5, 1933. I need an Excel spreadsheet. About 86.5 years give or take. The add 10 years for being old enough to remember. =96.5 years. Then factor in being on the internet in an obscure Q&A room. Why ask this question here?