Jane asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 5 months ago

How do lottery tickets work?

How do you play them and what do the numbers mean? No matter what I google, all I get is pages and pages of results for how to win the lottery or how to increase my chances. That is not what I'm asking. I am asking for the basics. How exactly is the game played and how does it work?

• Best answer

You pick numbers from a larger set of numbers

You purchase those picked numbers in the form of a ticket

If the numbers you picked are chosen during a selection process, then you win the jackpot

If someone else also picked those same numbers, then you share the jackpot with them

Let's run a test lottery. You need to pick 2 numbers from the following:

1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12

Let's say that you pick 3 and 7. You'll purchase a ticket from an approved vendor. Now I'll use some sort of random event device. This could be as simple as a BINGO drum. It'll have 12 marked items inside. 2 items will be pulled from it and the numbers are read. Let's say that 4 and 8 are chosen. You just lost and I have your money. If I pulled 3 and 7, then you would win and get the jackpot (or your share of the jackpot).

That's all there is to it.

• Jeff T

You pick a set of numbers, and the lottery company picks a set of numbers. If enough of your numbers match their numbers, you win.

• Jay P

There is more than one type of lottery ticket. Some are instant ( sometimes called scratch tickets ) and others are tickets for upcoming/scheduled draws.

If you're buying a ticket for a scheduled draw, either you select a set of numbers or you buy a ticket already with a number on it. After the draw, you can check your ticket against the number(s) drawn.

• Jolene

You pick random numbers. They draw random numbers. The more you match, the more you win.

It’s any numbers you want and the numbers are randomly rolled. It’s a big guessing game.