Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Is 18 too young to start a family?

Me and my fiance just graduated high school this month. He is going into the military and we both decided that I should be a stay at home mom. I know we are only 18 but we are very mature for our age.

Yes wait brilliant you are a little bit older

• Orla C

Nobody should get married or start breeding before they are 30.

• B

yes it is way too young. get married to your man, and wait a year or more to conceive. save up the money by working yourself and then consider being a stay at home mom. the money you save up can be used for special things for you and your family. it will be a safety cushion which you will never regret.

Keep the baby if you're pregnant if you're mature enough to handle it and that's what will make you happy then do it but if you're not pregnant and you don't have any experience with babies then i dont recommend it because its not as always easy as everyone says it is it doesn't come naturally to everyone if you don't know what you're doing then you just don't know what you're doing. Just be careful.

If this is what will make you happy then do it. 18 is young to start a family and remember you haven’t experienced fully what life has to offer, there are so many things out there and kids take up all of you’re time and will continue to do so for the next 18 years. Don’t be brash with your decision, take time to think it over as it’s a huge commitment. Think about what you want to do in life? There’s no rush to start a family.

Regardless of the benefits & allowances therein, & no matter how you crunch the numbers with optimism & positive-thinking the Military doesn't pay well,,AT ALL!

Military 'stay-at-home-mom" at '18'?

To answer your question in a word,,!!YES!!

18-on military-pay is defiantly TOO young to start a family or you wouldn't even need to Ask such a silly question!

Wait to have kids until he's at least E-5 when by then neither of you will be 18, with any luck still married, and maybe even only half as Dumb!

• Mr.Anonymous

LOL! I can't even guess what Base pay for an 18/19 y/o Navy recruit was in 1960 but from what I heard it was between $50. $100.00,,,cause in 1975 it was $344.10 a month,, but $12,000. a month base-pay Years later? as what a frkn Admiral!? not very likely...!

I realize that because you are 18 you think you are very mature for your age, but the fact of the matter is that you cannot possibly be as mature as you really think you are. You see, you have not experienced a life past high school. You have not had any real responsibilities in your life and therefore, you have zero experience at being an adult.

For crying out loud, if you start a family, both you and your baby will be teething at the same time. Yes, it is true. You still have adult molars to grow in your mouth. The human brain is not even fully developed until the age of 25, so you have 7 more years of GROWING, never mind the experience of being a responsible individual.

Rather than have babies, get an education.

When I was 18, just like most 18 year old teenagers who think they are mature, I thought that since I was the age of an adult, that I WAS AN ADULT. Now I look back and laugh at myself because I just did not know what I did not know. And, THAT is why I THOUGHT I was mature for my age.

Copy and save this question of yours, along with the answers. Keep it until you are 25 years old, then read it. You will laugh yourass off over how silly you were at the age of 18. As a matter of fact, you probably will not even be with your high school sweetheart. A teenager in the military does not earn enough money to keep a wife at home with a child and financially supported with a roof over their heads, a car, insurance, cell phones, utilities, food, diapers......etc.

You are delusional. Yes, being a teenager is too young to start a family. You do not possess the maturity or the resources to bring a child into this world. And, if you say you have help from family, then that is proof positive that you are not independent enough nor do you have enough money to be married and have a family.

It is not your fault that you just do not know what you do not know. That is what experience will do for you...experience gives you a reality check.

To comments from Kate: You are right, I gave a stern answer. I am a parent and sometimes one must be strict to get the attention of a teenager. This girl is too immature to realize she is too immature.

Back to Kate for more comments: Oh my. You saying I am upset with my own life could not be further from the truth. My husband and I had two businesses, a new truck and a new car in the driveway and we bought a house BEFORE having our first child when I was nearly 30 years old. No regrets there, nope. Your assumption is wrong, all day long wrong. I love my life. My children are now in their early 30's, the house is paid off and guess what? I have another new car in the driveway!!

• Edna

Wanda - You're wrong about military salary..I was married to a Navy man when I was 18 & our son was born when I was 19, in 1962. We NEVER had any financial problems. When he retired from Navy 25 years later, he was earning a base salary of $12,000/month - that was w/o the other military "perks".

Of course it is. I don't believe it is possible from a scientific and legal perspective for somebody that age to survive on their own, let alone marry and have children.

• kim

Keep your baby if its here. But if your single please understand how expensive all this is and the fact that you are being overwhelmed with adult responsibilities that will impact anyone's good time just being married. Why would you want killer responsibilities at such a tender time? Obviously because you just dont understand the stress that entails all this. Stress that newly married young people dont need.

• Kelly

18 is definitely too young.

You're not as mature as your believe, no teenager is. 18 is the legal definition of an adult but the adult portion of the brain which actually controls adult maturity, long term goals and things of that nature doesn't actually form until the age of 25. Until then you have an adolescent/teenage brain still. People confuse being responsible with being mature but it's not the same thing. You can be responsible and know that you know the basics of what you should be doing like you know you have to be up by a certain time to get ready for work and be to work on time but you can only be as mature as your brain is developed for you to be. After that portion of the brain does form your begin to mature as an adult, you'll know more what you want out of life, you'll have more life experience and while you will still have some goals/interests you do at your current age.. most will be different.

Being a parent is hard work and brings all sorts of challenges as a couple, especially a military couple or a young couple who is all around inexperienced in life. I've been a military wife and you can expect to for the most part essentially raise the baby yourself during the times they may be deployed, away on training or he may be assigned somewhere that he can't take you. He may receive some orders where you won't have any contact with him for months on end. There can be times you don't even know where he is. On that note you mention being a SAHM but not really marriage, unless you're married you can't live on base with him even if you do have a child but aren't married. He could also be based anywhere in the world so you could potentially be far away from family and your support system. We were stationed in NC, Texas, Hawaii, Japan and back to Texas with a few deployments in there. He got deployed for a year when I was pregnant, we were stationed in Texas and I went through the pregnancy by myself and raised her for the first year totally without him, our mom's came down from Michigan when I was ready to have her and they stayed for a few weeks but eventually they went home. Hawaii might sound like a dream place to be stationed, but it's not. We were in Oahu and after a week or so you figure out you've seen the whole Island already. Unless you're super outdoorsy and into water sports there isn't much to do there and unlike the mainland where it's easy to go on a road trip for the weekend to another state, you're literally stuck on an island. Plus, Hawaii is expensive AF. A lot of soldiers can't really afford to live there and only eat on base.

Being a SAHM might not be realistic on a military salary, I always worked outside the home and most military spouses I knew did too. Aside from that I hated living on base so me working allowed us to live off base at times too.

What is your plan to further your education? Education creates opportunities in life. If something happened to you as a couple or him.. how are you planning to support a family? I know a lot of SAHM's (and dad's) but the vast majority of them are actually well educated and could return to the workforce if they need to. With no or minimal education and work experience it would be a real struggle.

• dman63

What’s the matter, Amy? Did that ice cold bucket of reality wake you up?